Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Registered User

Default Horsechestnut replanting

Hi there, just to start Im not a gardener or even a budding one, but I do want to keep a horsechestnut tree that has grown in my back garden from a conker that I think some kid lobbed in my garden not too long ago!!

It has grown (without my knowledge until last week when planning a new garage) to about 4ft with about a 2 ft root. So I moved the tree to a new spot and to do this I banged a stake into the ground and then removed it creating a 2cm wide hole and then replanted the root into the hole.

Now from doing this I think Ive done 3 things wrong ;
1. the tree isnt dormant (I found this out from a google search!)
2. the root curled a little when I pushed it into the hole.
3. Im not sure if the soil around the hole fell back into it when I buried the root!

SO now, after 3 days, I have a particularly sad, droopy looking tree on my hands

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is my tree a gonner? Will it revive itself later in the year? Ive watered it twice and it gets alot of sunshine each day but should I give it more water? Should I dig it up and replant with compost??

Thanks for all your advice!

[IMG] code is On

what can i do with a 6ft horsechestnut? Cast-it Admin Bonsai 4 26-08-2007 01:56 PM
Harvesting corn kernels for replanting Tom Elliott Australia 1 19-04-2003 12:44 AM
replanting new roses? Jane Roses 7 16-04-2003 03:56 AM
replanting new roses?I"M BACK! Jane Roses 0 15-04-2003 04:08 AM
REPLANTING TREES alan kearn United Kingdom 4 10-03-2003 10:00 PM