Old 15-05-2011, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default light brown spots on Japanese maple

Hello,

We planted a young (2-ft tall) Japanese maple "Red Select" about two
weeks ago. Now it is showing some small, light brown, dry-looking
spots on otherwise healthy-looking leaves. Is this a matter of
concern?

Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker
Old 15-05-2011, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/14/11 7:47 PM, Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Hello,

We planted a young (2-ft tall) Japanese maple "Red Select" about two
weeks ago. Now it is showing some small, light brown, dry-looking
spots on otherwise healthy-looking leaves. Is this a matter of
concern?

Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker

Japanese maples require a light, slightly acidic soil. They also prefer
a climate where the air is humid during the growing season.

Where I live, I have seen Japanese maples in heavy clay soil. The soils
and water both tend to be alkaline. Last week, we had several days when
the relative humidity generally stayed below 30% after reaching 8% on 30
April. The maples here show severe stress by July and start to lose
their leaves in September while other trees are still growing vigorously.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean