Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered User

Default moldy grass clippings..

Hi all!
I was saving some grass clippings for mulch and discovered this morning that they were very wet and moldy. (yes, lesson learned) I am assuming that it is NOT a good idea to use moldy grass clippings for mulch, right?

Also, do I put a nice thick layer of grass clipping mulch around my red onion plants? wasn't sure about this.

Thanks!!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by coykiesaol View Post
Hi all!
I was saving some grass clippings for mulch and discovered this morning that they were very wet and moldy. (yes, lesson learned) I am assuming that it is NOT a good idea to use moldy grass clippings for mulch, right?

Also, do I put a nice thick layer of grass clipping mulch around my red onion plants? wasn't sure about this.
No, don't use rotting fresh grass clippings as mulch, they won't be very good for your plants.

If you want to use grass clippings as mulch, you need to dry the grass thoroughly first so that it doesn't form a rotting mess, which will happen within a few hours if you pile them in a heap. The best procedure is to cut the lawn without a grass collector on the mower, so they lie on the lawn spread out to dry. Then you can rake them up and they shouldn't form a rotting mess. Unfortunately, this is a lot more work than gathering them in a hopper as you mow and chucking them away. Also it isn't a good idea if your grass is very long, as it will be thick enough to make a rotting mess on your lawn.

[IMG] code is On

moldy peat pots Chris Edible Gardening 0 01-03-2004 10:38 AM
moldy peat pots Frogleg Edible Gardening 1 29-02-2004 04:57 PM
moldy smell of moss of Phal in bloom - help! J Fortuna Orchids 0 25-02-2004 01:43 PM
Moldy lupins - help! Ruth United Kingdom 4 23-10-2003 10:02 AM
moldy mulch Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 3 08-07-2003 03:08 AM