Old 16-07-2011, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Another groung hog

Being such a voracious eater, this one was caught 45 minutes after
setting the trap this morning;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/136464431/original

BTW, they aren't all that "dumb", we had one here sometime back that
would literally perch beside the trap even when filled with bait.
After two 'possums, two skunks and countless squirrels, over a period
of years, we gave up trying to catch it.
Old 16-07-2011, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

Being such a voracious eater, this one was caught 45 minutes after
setting the trap this morning;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/136464431/original

BTW, they aren't all that "dumb", we had one here sometime back that
would literally perch beside the trap even when filled with bait.
After two 'possums, two skunks and countless squirrels, over a period
of years, we gave up trying to catch it.
=====

How'd he get injured? Are you relocating him?

I (well, my family) once had a lab who'd catch them & give 'em just one or
two thrashes in his jaws. Instant death. And I think that was about the only
thing that dog was ever good for.
Here in WI, we don't see groundhogs. They all seem to be replaced by
13-lined ground squirrels. Cuter, and so far as I've seen over the years,
much less destructive.

Old 16-07-2011, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/16/2011 12:28 PM, wrote:
Being such a voracious eater, this one was caught 45 minutes after
setting the trap this morning;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/136464431/original

BTW, they aren't all that "dumb", we had one here sometime back that
would literally perch beside the trap even when filled with bait.
After two 'possums, two skunks and countless squirrels, over a period
of years, we gave up trying to catch it.

Nice pic.
In my experience, peanut butter is a universal bait.
Also best to close trap at night to avoid catching skunks.
Old 18-07-2011, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 16, 5:15 pm, "Nelly" wrote:

How'd he get injured?

Have no idea.

Are you relocating him?

Released it by a river a couple of miles away from here the same
day....The usual spot.

Old 18-07-2011, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 16, 5:36*pm, Frank wrote:

Also best to close trap at night to avoid catching skunks.

Agreed!

Old 18-07-2011, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 05:33:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jul 16, 5:15 pm, "Nelly" wrote:

How'd he get injured?

Have no idea.

Are you relocating him?

Released it by a river a couple of miles away from here the same
day....The usual spot.

That is a procedure we, too, follow, although the dump off spot is to
4-5 miles away. I am sure we have contributed to improving the
groundhog gene pool in this part of NJ.

Boron
Old 18-07-2011, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On Jul 16, 5:15 pm, "Nelly" wrote:

How'd he get injured?

Have no idea.

Are you relocating him?

Released it by a river a couple of miles away from here the same
day....The usual spot.

That is a procedure we, too, follow, although the dump off spot is to
4-5 miles away. I am sure we have contributed to improving the
groundhog gene pool in this part of NJ.

The people you dump them on must love you. OR maybe they just bring them back to
you.

Old 18-07-2011, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On Jul 16, 5:15 pm, "Nelly" wrote:

How'd he get injured?

Have no idea.

Are you relocating him?

Released it by a river a couple of miles away from here the same
day....The usual spot.

That is a procedure we, too, follow, although the dump off spot is to
4-5 miles away. I am sure we have contributed to improving the
groundhog gene pool in this part of NJ.

The people you dump them on must love you. OR maybe they just bring them back to
you.

Mine are transported (with the property owner's permission) to an
industrial area near the wooded banks of a river.

Boron
Old 18-07-2011, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On Jul 16, 5:15 pm, "Nelly" wrote:

How'd he get injured?

Have no idea.

Are you relocating him?

Released it by a river a couple of miles away from here the same
day....The usual spot.

That is a procedure we, too, follow, although the dump off spot is to
4-5 miles away. I am sure we have contributed to improving the
groundhog gene pool in this part of NJ.

The people you dump them on must love you. OR maybe they just bring them back to
you.

Oh...the other choice is to kill it on my property.
Old 23-07-2011, 06:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On Jul 16, 5:15 pm, "Nelly" wrote:

How'd he get injured?

Have no idea.

Are you relocating him?

Released it by a river a couple of miles away from here the same
day....The usual spot.

That is a procedure we, too, follow, although the dump off spot is
to 4-5 miles away. I am sure we have contributed to improving the
groundhog gene pool in this part of NJ.

The people you dump them on must love you. OR maybe they just bring
them back to you.

Oh...the other choice is to kill it on my property.

Some localities require that.

[IMG] code is On

Black and Decker LE750 hog edger Rick Gardening 3 10-08-2003 04:12 AM
Ground Hog joy2wrld Gardening 8 03-06-2003 05:56 PM
FS: Black & Decker Edge Hog 11 amp Electric Edger John North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
BOYCOTT SCOTLAND SAY HOG ACTIVISTS Apr 26 2003 --- vote Steve Rudd PM Rodeo Clown United Kingdom 11 01-05-2003 12:56 PM
FS: Black & Decker Edge Hog 11 amp Electric Edger John North Carolina 0 17-03-2003 12:32 PM