Old 20-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Registered User

Question Identify Plant

Hello !

Can you help me identify this plant? I've grown it from seed in Feb and planted it out in May when it was approx 6 inch tall. Its now starting to take over my shrub border! The leaves have spikes along with the stems and have slight hairs on the leaves. The leaves smell of a tomato plant smell....
I live in the UK

Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Identify Plant-1.jpg   Identify Plant-2.jpg
Old 20-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Registered User

I shoud also add that it has not flowered yet so I don't know if it will this year and what colours and shapes it will produce!!
Old 20-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNB View Post
I shoud also add that it has not flowered yet so I don't know if it will this year and what colours and shapes it will produce!!
It's a Cleome or spider flower.
a lovely annual plant which produces lovely spikey usually pink flowers that are scented.
Is a nice 'weed' to come up and well worth keeping.

(oh, and don't let anyone try to tell you it's cannibis :-D)

Cleome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Yay! it's spring!
Old 20-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered User

WOW ! Thankyou very much !! - I've had several people puzzled over this plant - It certainly looks at interesting flower once it starts!

Cannabis was mentioned a few times !! - I was ready to dig it up... well.. maybe ;-) he he
Old 31-07-2011, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Identify Plant

On Jul 20, 5:02*pm, MFNB wrote:
WOW ! *Thankyou very much !! - I've had several people puzzled over this
plant - It certainly looks at interesting flower once it starts!

Cannabis was mentioned a few times !! - I was ready to dig it up...
well.. maybe ;-) *he he

MFNB

I had a young teen trying to tell me I was growing pot when he saw my
Cleome. It was funny, and I had a helluva time convincing him he was
wrong. Jeez, I could have had cops crawling all over the place if
he'd started telling people I was growing weed.
I love cleome, it needs no special treatment and mine often reseeds
itself, altho I would prefer it do it in the garden and not in the
grass. I was transplanting little seedlings with a spoon from the
grass into the garden.
Nan in DE