Old 22-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered User

Default New to gardening - list of plants; which are compatible?

Mum and I have never had a garden before but a couple of years ago the garage was torn down (before it collapsed) and I've built a deck and whitewashed the walls. I'm building some nice planters out of left-over deck boards and we've been walking around a couple of garden centres noting down plants that we're interested in and would like to have in our pots, planters and hanging baskets (hanging baskets will probably be a job for next year).

I'm wondering which of these plants will be incompatibile (requiring different types of soil etc). My mum doesn't have a lot of free-time so we can't have anything high maintenance (I'm away studying most of the year). If soil composition is an issue, I will be at home twice a year (summer and winter) and can make adjustments then - but again, I have no experience so we want the most beautiful arrangement we can have with minimal risk of destruction.

Here is the list of plants we made:

Lilium (red pixie)
Cordyline
Begonia
Pansy
Fuscia
Geranium
Campanula
Phoenix canariensis
Coleus

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.
Old 22-07-2011, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
seanspotatobiz

If you're just going to stick them in planters, your main concern
should be whether they can overwinter outside in your climate. As for
soil, if you're going to just fill a bunch of planters, go out and buy
bags of potting soil. It will be initially expensive but save time in
the long run. In a year or so, add some slow-release fertilizer if
they're still going

(I did not look closely at your list to see if they are all perennials
or what- remember, annuals in planters will require new plants...well,
pretty much annually).

Chris
Old 23-07-2011, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 22, 1:58*am, seanspotatobiz seanspotatobiz.
wrote:
[...]

You can go on-line and with any decent search engine, get answers to
your questions.

HB
Old 30-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanspotatobiz View Post
[...]

Cordylines are great for feature plants or in a tub on the patio, they need a sunny or partial shade position. It is advisable to gather up the leaves and tie together to protect during the winter months

Hardy bush fuschias are great perennial plants that will provide colour year on year. The non hardy trailing varieties are great for baskets etc,

Campanulas are great perennials for providing low ground cover whilst providing colour.

The

Here is the list of plants we made:

Lilium (red pixie)
Cordyline
Begonia
Pansy
Fuscia
Geranium
Campanula
Phoenix canariensis
Coleus

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.
Cordylines are great for feature plants or in a tub on the patio, they need a sunny or partial shade position. It is advisable to gather up the leaves and tie together to protect during the winter months

Hardy bush fuschias are great perennial plants that will provide colour year on year. The non hardy trailing varieties are great for baskets etc,

Campanulas are great perennials for providing low ground cover whilst providing colour.

The Coleus or painted nettle plants are a delicate perennial but generally looked upon as an annual, great for providing colourful foliage.

Pansies come in winter flowering or spring flowering and are great for providing winter colour. Ideal for winter baskets

Phoenix palms are great in a sunny sheltered position as a feature plant or in a large patio pot.

Geraniums come in different forms, the summer bedding variety or the perennial variety and finally begonias come in different forms generally summer bedding, my personal favourite the non stop begonias, large headed flowers that if dead headed continue to flower all summer.
hope this helps
__________________
You don't have to be Shrek to have green fingers!
For great advice and quality plants visit http://plantsgaloreonline.co.uk or call us on: 01279 792 321
Old 31-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

[...]

Hi, Firstly, as far as plants you use, within reason, whatever you like is fine, its about you looking at it and feeling pleased ! Having said that and in principle being in agreement with advice you have already recieved, let me add my thoughts.
Most of what you have listed will look nice the first year but some will need replacing after the winter ! My advice would be to use more shrubs and especially shrubs which give you evergreen foliage. These will give you year round colour, texture and structure and then add things like fuchsias etc to give you that 'extra' blast of colour for summer.
The list of suitable shrubs is endless but let me give you a few of my favourites, Phormium, Photinia, Ceanothus, Euryops, Choisya, Lavatera, Pieris,
Azalea, Euonymous, Fatsia etc etc, al these will give you a fine assortment of colour and texture and they can stay there, thus cutting down on the maintenance required.
But, as i say, its really down to what you like and also where abouts you live (you never said ??)
lannerman.