Old 20-09-2011, 07:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default what to do with old corn stalks?

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Compost pile. Maybe break them up a bit first.

Priscilla

Give them to your Jewish friends for a holyday coming up where
people "live" outside in temporary huts open to the sky but
covered with maybe cornstalks.

HB

Open, but covered huts, I'll buy(?), but cornstalks in a Jewish
ritual?(!!!) There's gotta be a story.

I have been to meals at a Jewish college where they observed all the
religious festivals. At one time the dining hall was festooned with
plants and produce (sheaves of wheat etc) as part of their harvest
festival which is held about this time of year. One aspect of this
(I have since learned) is making booths, or if you like huts.

David

The thing is that Europeans, much less Jews, knew squat from corn
until at least 1492. Corn has become part of Jewish rituals during
the last 600 years? There's got to be a story. Hellllloooooo.

I was just explaining the origin of the custom. Whether it is proper to add
any available material like corn to the booths or displays, or if it is
strictly controlled by ritual I have no idea.

Old 20-09-2011, 01:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:34:46 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
[...]

---
http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday5.htm
Old 20-09-2011, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:20:01 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
[...]

No need to explain yourself, Billy is too ignorant and lacks even a
modecum of common sense to figure it out for himself. When Jews
wandered to the new world they used local native plants, obviously...
same as any peoples who relocate adopt the different customs and eat
different foods. in NYC tall marsh grasses are often used because
that's what's readily available at the shore... many don't have back
yards or any yard, they erect the structure on terraces and roof
tops... in cities with large Jewish populations there are temporary
shops that sell the traditional materials the same as Christmas tree
venders that spring up at holiday time. In each part of the planet
different plants are incorporated, whatever is available. Nowadays
those who are able will have materials shipped from the old country
same as Floridians import balsom fir.
Old 20-09-2011, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

I cut mine at ground level with a corn knife and feed them to the
neighbor's cattle.

--
Steve
southiowa

weltschmerz
Pronunciation: 'velt-"shmerts
Function: noun
: mental depression or apathy caused by comparison of the actual state
of the world with an ideal state
Old 20-09-2011, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 19, 6:47*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
In article , Todd wrote:
Hi All,

* *My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. *I will try amending my soil more
next year.

* * In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? *Plow them under? *Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Compost pile. *Maybe break them up a bit first.

Priscilla

Give them to your Jewish friends for a holyday coming up where people
"live" outside in temporary huts open to the sky but covered with
maybe cornstalks.

HB

Open, but covered huts, I'll buy(?), but cornstalks in a Jewish
ritual?(!!!) There's gotta be a story.

[...]

Yep. Called the Hebrew Bible. Stalks of whatever they grew in those
days. Probably wheat, or ? Some Bible expert will know.

HB

Old 20-09-2011, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 20, 6:30*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:20:01 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
[...]

Actually, look to technology-creep:The "traditional"the temporary
structures are now shipped from China, U-assemble.
Only the Orthodox, AFAIK, go to the trouble of erecting the ""hut""
from scratch, esp. in urban areas. So,as previous poster pointed out,
these structures are often set up on terraces and roof tops.

HB

Old 21-09-2011, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 6:47*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
In article , Todd wrote:
[...]

You have a real gift.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it¹s not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That¹s hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don¹t get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 21-09-2011, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 20, 6:30*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:20:01 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
[...]

Is this some kind of "shaggy dog" story?

Old 21-09-2011, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 20, 6:30*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:20:01 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
[...]

Only the othodox would have the sukkoh at all.... no one but the
othodox celebrate this holiday, others barely note it exists.
Old 21-09-2011, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 21, 8:37*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 20, 6:30�am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:20:01 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
[...]

As a card-carrying agnostic, I still maintain that (per Fiddler on the
Roof), "Tradition" is really, really, really important. (When it's a
good tradition!! Scanning the various belief systems (aka: religions)
in the world, there are some pretty hairy traditions still being
adhered to. I don't think the original perps still throw their first-
born children into the fiery furnace, but...)

There's something off-putting about being homogenized into a bland,
consumer-driven body w/o tradition. We (US) are a nation of
immigrants. Most enriched the body social and political I DEPLORE
parents not teaching their children the original language along with
English, in a mis-directed effort to be 1000% American. A second,
third, fourth language is a TREASURE!

So yay for the Swedes, celebrating Santa Lucia. Yay for the Muslims
celebrating Iftar (breaking fast after Ramadan). Yay for the Jews
building a sukkah to commemorate wandering in the desert. Yay for the
Christians remembering the Samaritan (NOT "good Samaritan; that is a
tautology (I think that's what it is?) who help the sick dude by the
side of the road. Etc.

HB

Old 21-09-2011, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 20, 6:30�am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:20:01 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
[...]

Where you do get that notion?

HB
Old 21-09-2011, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson writes:

On Sep 21, 8:37Â*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
I DEPLORE
parents not teaching their children the original language along with
English, in a mis-directed effort to be 1000% American. A second,
third, fourth language is a TREASURE!

Have to disagree on this one.
Our multiple languages are a curse.
There are all kinds of things that set us apart.
This one is especially obnoxious.

There is nothing good about impeded communication.

--
Dan Espen
Old 21-09-2011, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 20, 6:30�am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:20:01 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
[...]

Visit NYC. It's really only the ultra orthodox that celebrate, and
not even all build the sukkoh, perhaps a third. It's like what
percentage of Christians decorate their house with Christmas lights
anymore... not really all that many, nowadays most don't do a tree or
even send cards... was a time I sent and received over a hundred
cards, last year I sent and received a half dozen and maybe as many
ecards. As the years pass I see fewer and fewer houses lit up at
Christmas time. Then again I see fewer and fewer American flags
displayed. I still have a real tree indoors and I decorate a live
tree outdoors. And I display an American flag on all American
Holidays. I won't be bothering with buying Halloween candy this year,
for the past two years I didn't get even one trick or treater. I'm
glad I'm old, I don't want to see where things are going, I already
know... the world is less peaceful now than it has ever been...
everyone has a big pointy stick up their ass.