Old 17-09-2011, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default what to do with old corn stalks?

Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Old 17-09-2011, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Compost

Would just burying them 6" under have the same effect?
Old 17-09-2011, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Compost

Would just burying them 6" under have the same effect?

In the long run. The stalks take a while to break down, you could speed the
whole thing up by running over them a few times with a mower.

Old 17-09-2011, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Todd wrote:

Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Cut and cover with mulch.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis

Old 17-09-2011, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad Nad is offline

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

I add my corn stalks to my Halloween Party Bon Fire pile. People love it
after the BBQ and Hay Ride.

--
Nad
Old 18-09-2011, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Decorations for your Halloween party.

Old 19-09-2011, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Todd wrote:

Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Compost pile. Maybe break them up a bit first.

Priscilla
Old 19-09-2011, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 19, 12:03*pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd wrote:
Hi All,

* *My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. *I will try amending my soil more
next year.

* * In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? *Plow them under? *Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Compost pile. *Maybe break them up a bit first.

Priscilla

Give them to your Jewish friends for a holyday coming up where people
"live" outside in temporary huts open to the sky but covered with
maybe cornstalks.

HB
Old 19-09-2011, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:03:02 -0400, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:

In article , Todd wrote:

Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Compost pile. Maybe break them up a bit first.

Without knowing the amount of corn stalks it's difficult to say.
Farmers generally cut acres of stalks at/near the ground, haul them
off, plow under the stumps and then till to bust them up some. But
for the small amount one typically plants in a home garden there are
really only two choices; shred and use for mulch or if one has a place
to toss them at the edge of the woods they'll make a good place for
small critter protection, that's what I do. Corn stalks take a very
long time to compost, I'd not recommend putting them into a composter
with your regular materials, even shredded they'll take several years
to compost. If you have use of a shredder corn stalks make good
mulch.

Old 19-09-2011, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bud Bud is offline

Mow over them a few times, great for mulch or compost.
--
Bud
Old 20-09-2011, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:02:13 +0000 (UTC), Bud wrote:

Mow over them a few times, great for mulch or compost.

There's not much chance of sucking corn stalks into a mower.
Old 20-09-2011, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

wrote:
In article , Todd wrote:
Hi All,

* *My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. *I will try amending my soil more
next year.

* * In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? *Plow them under? *Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Compost pile. *Maybe break them up a bit first.

Priscilla

Give them to your Jewish friends for a holyday coming up where people
"live" outside in temporary huts open to the sky but covered with
maybe cornstalks.

HB

Open, but covered huts, I'll buy(?), but cornstalks in a Jewish
ritual?(!!!) There's gotta be a story.

Old 20-09-2011, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Compost pile. Maybe break them up a bit first.

Priscilla

Give them to your Jewish friends for a holyday coming up where people
"live" outside in temporary huts open to the sky but covered with
maybe cornstalks.

HB

Open, but covered huts, I'll buy(?), but cornstalks in a Jewish
ritual?(!!!) There's gotta be a story.

I have been to meals at a Jewish college where they observed all the
religious festivals. At one time the dining hall was festooned with plants
and produce (sheaves of wheat etc) as part of their harvest festival which
is held about this time of year. One aspect of this (I have since learned)
is making booths, or if you like huts.

David

Old 20-09-2011, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
[...]

The thing is that Europeans, much less Jews, knew squat from corn until
at least 1492. Corn has become part of Jewish rituals during the last
600 years? There's got to be a story. Hellllloooooo.