Old 02-05-2003, 09:32 PM
KeybdWizrd

Default redbud trees didn't bloom ?!?!

I live in suburban Chicago and have six redbud trees. Three of them (they're
all close to one another) didn't bloom this spring. They got buds on them but
no flowers have appeared to date. If I break a twig off of them they are green
inside, however.

I called Davey Tree and the fellow said that they're having this problem with
redbuds throughout the area. He said the very dry conditions through last
summer and the winter have caused many redbuds to die. He said to wait a
couple of weeks and if they didn't bloom I should call him back and they'd
remove them.

My wife, however, talked to a friend who says that this happens periodically
with her redbuds.... they don't bloom because they never got pollenated. She
said don't do anything drastic and the trees will likely bloom next spring.

Who is likely right?

MW
Old 02-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Bill Bolle

If the redbud blooms were starting to develop and you had a hard freeze
the buds will freeze and will not bloom. This happened to me this year
in Oklahoma. Look at the buds and if they look limp that is a sure sign
that they froze.
Bill

Old 02-05-2003, 09:56 PM
JNJ

[...]

Even better -- why be concerned? If the tree does not bloom, then that does
not necessarily indicate it is unhealthy and should be removed! Sometimes
these services are a little too quick to dig IMHO.

Let the trees be and see how they do -- if they leaf out, then don't worry
about it. If they do not then start becoming concerned.

James

Old 02-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Marley1372

Have the other 3 trees bloomed yet? It is perfectly normal for a young tree,
especially after drought periods, to not flower. Did you prune any of them in
late fall or this spring??

with her redbuds.... they don't bloom because they never got pollenated.

Flowers cannot be pollinated if they arent there... you do not need
pollinizers for plants to flower, only for them to fruit.

Toad