Old 19-04-2003, 02:44 PM
spampot

Default Redbud question

I put three or four redbud starts into the ground three summers ago,
finally got the deer to leave them alone (fencing), and now three trunks
are growing up quite nicely. The trunks are now about an inch thick,
and are about four inches apart. Should I move a couple of them? Or is
it OK to leave them as they are and have them grow up all squashed
together? I don't want to do anything that will hurt them, as they were
brought from my grandmother's garden several states away (I'm in
Maryland). Thanks for any advice.

Old 20-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Gary

I have a couple of redbud trees in my yard. One is single, and I have a
clump of three growing together. I prefer the single, as it has developed a
nice trunk, and I was able to work it into a pleasing shape. The group you
have planted together will probably be fine, but my preference would be to
limit it to one tree (personal preference, here). I've never tried to move
an established tree to another area, so I don't know how well they
transplant. Seems like it might be a lot of work and digging, since they
are 3 years old.
Hope this is helpful.
Gary

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
BiG Orange

I put three or four redbud starts into the ground three summers ago,
finally got the deer to leave them alone (fencing), and now three trunks
are growing up quite nicely. The trunks are now about an inch thick,
and are about four inches apart. Should I move a couple of them? Or is
it OK to leave them as they are and have them grow up all squashed
together? I don't want to do anything that will hurt them, as they were
brought from my grandmother's garden several states away (I'm in
Maryland). Thanks for any advice.

I know that Red Pansy Redbuds are not supposed to be moved once planted, not
sure if the same applies to the larger species. I have a Redbud my daughter
got at school that is in a pot, it's about 3 feet tall now and looks like a
twig. How fast do these boogers grow? It has really taken off since spring.

Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
B & J

"BiG Orange" @ wrote in message ...
[...]

Redbuds grow like weeds when given TLC (water, fertilizer). I had three
sprout in a flower bed last spring and decided they might be something for
to take to a native plant swap, which was held in the fall. I put them in
two gallon pots in good soil with slow release fertilizer, and by October
they were three feet tall. I have two in the yard where they were four foot
plants four years ago. They are now 10' trees and were a mass of color this
spring. BTW, the Forest Pansy is proving to be an exception to this rule of
rapid growth. The one I bought two years ago has only grown a couple of
feet. It receives identical care to the native redbuds. (Zone 6)

John

Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 PM
paghat

In article , "BiG Orange" @ wrote:

I put three or four redbud starts into the ground three summers ago,
finally got the deer to leave them alone (fencing), and now three trunks
are growing up quite nicely. The trunks are now about an inch thick,
and are about four inches apart. Should I move a couple of them? Or is
it OK to leave them as they are and have them grow up all squashed
together? I don't want to do anything that will hurt them, as they were
brought from my grandmother's garden several states away (I'm in
Maryland). Thanks for any advice.

I know that Red Pansy Redbuds are not supposed to be moved once planted, not
sure if the same applies to the larger species. I have a Redbud my daughter
got at school that is in a pot, it's about 3 feet tall now and looks like a
twig. How fast do these boogers grow? It has really taken off since spring.

I was just yesterday looking at some 8-foot sappling Red Pansy Redbuds in
bud, & aren't those just the pleasantest things.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"