Old 21-01-2012, 04:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,rec.gardens

Default Serious question: Urine as a nitrogen source for organiccomposting

UPDATE:

Here, for the record, is a picture of my ad hoc 'compost' bucket ...
where I put all kitchen food-related trash (eggshells, banana peels,
lettuce cores, chicken bones, fat cuttings, orange peels, stale bread,
etc.):
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7393442.gif

Notice the patented NPK 12:1:2 fertilizing formula I've been using,
thanks to all your advice!

So far I've been emptying this about once a week into a large wheeled
green compost bucket (which is half full and getting unwieldy).

The bottle of urine you see there is about a day's output from yours
truly:
* That's about ~1.5 liter / day / person
* Which is about 7.5 grams of Nitrogen per day
* And about 6 pounds of Nitrogen, 1 pound Phosphorous, & 2 pounds of
Potassium per year

I wonder what a comparison cost would be for equivalent store bought NPK
12:1:2 fertilizer containing 6 pounds of nitrogen?
Old 21-01-2012, 07:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,rec.gardens

On 1/21/2012 10:47 AM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
[...]

It looks like apple juice or recycled beer. ^_^

TDD
Old 21-01-2012, 11:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,rec.gardens

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:59:38 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I wonder what a comparison cost would be for equivalent store bought
NPK 12:1:2 fertilizer containing 6 pounds of nitrogen?

It looks like apple juice or recycled beer. ^_^

Well, in a way, it 'is' recycled apple juice & beer!

I haven't flushed the toilet in a week!

Old 22-01-2012, 04:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,rec.gardens

On 1/21/2012 5:26 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:59:38 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I wonder what a comparison cost would be for equivalent store bought
NPK 12:1:2 fertilizer containing 6 pounds of nitrogen?

It looks like apple juice or recycled beer. ^_^

Well, in a way, it 'is' recycled apple juice& beer!

I haven't flushed the toilet in a week!

EEEEEEeeeeeeuuuu! ^_^

TDD
Old 22-01-2012, 08:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,rec.gardens

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:34:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I haven't flushed the toilet in a week!

EEEEEEeeeeeeuuuu! ^_^

I agree the yuck factor is high.

But, I'm at least learning yuck that I never knew before ... for example,
on Saturdays I deliver double my normal urine output - and - the color
tends to fade to a lighter amber (as shown in this picture taken today of
the second bottle of the day):
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7396434.gif

And, the practical (yuck) experience doesn't stop there.

For example, I found that this width bottle is too small for a normal
person to fit and therefore there's the need for a wider bottle opening
(two inches would seem to be a good bottle opening size for a 2 liter
bottle):
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7396436.gif

Don't ask for details. Just trust me on this one.

Old 22-01-2012, 10:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,rec.gardens

On Jan 22, 2:06 am, Chuck Banshee wrote:
[...]

Andy comments:
Use laundry detergent plastic jugs. Wide mouth, easy to
fit with no= fiddling around .....
I keep one under the bed to keep from stumping my toes at
night, and one in the truck so I don't have to stop and go
into a gas station after every beer.......
They are empltied into a raised bed garden, in those spaces
where I've already picked the produce.....
Old 22-01-2012, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,rec.gardens

On 1/22/2012 2:06 AM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
[...]

I have a plastic urinal I got during my last hospital visit where I had
to keep track of urine output. I keep track of output every now and then
especially after I peed out 50lbs of fluid in two weeks last fall. In a
month I was 60lbs lighter after getting the right medication. No more
fluid in my lungs went a long way toward making me feel better. ^_^

TDD