Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Registered User

Default Poorly Palm

Hi,

I am a total novice and am trying to find out what's wrong with this palm and what we can do to make it better. We don't even know what kind it is either. Please can someone help? We have 3 of them and they all look pretty much like this straggley with lots of brown bits.

Thanks,
Lindesay
Attached Thumbnails
Poorly Palm-dsc03740b.jpg   Poorly Palm-dsc03743.jpg
Old 03-02-2012, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/3/12 3:22 AM, lindesay wrote:
Hi,

I am a total novice and am trying to find out what's wrong with this
palm and what we can do to make it better. We don't even know what kind
it is either. Please can someone help? We have 3 of them and they all
look pretty much like this straggley with lots of brown bits.

Thanks,
Lindesay

|Filename: DSC03740b.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14669|
|Filename: DSC03743.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14670|

From the photos, it appears these are indoors. Few palms do well as
houseplants.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 11:22:32 +0000, lindesay wrote:
I am a total novice and am trying to find out what's wrong with this
palm and what we can do to make it better. We don't even know what kind
it is either. Please can someone help? We have 3 of them and they all
look pretty much like this straggley with lots of brown bits.

I'm guessing this is indoors. The first thing I'd do is to unpot the palms
and wash all the soil off the roots, and repot in fresh soil in a clean pot
just barely big enough to contain the root ball. When the plant starts growing
again, you can repot into a larger pot. These plants look severely water
stressed to me.

See all that white stuff on the pot? Those are soil minerals, minerals from
the water, and fertilizer salts. They're acting just like a saline soil, and
even though you're watering the plants, they can't pick up enough soil moisture
because all the mineral salts are hogging the water. (Look up osmotic
pressure in a beginning biology textbook). I think that's most of what is
wrong here.

Whenever you start to see white or light beige crusts on soil or the pot, it's
time to repot into a clean pot with fresh soil or flood-irrigate the pots
until you've washed out the excess mineral content; that takes a *lot* of
water.

Old clay pots can be cleaned up for reuse by scrubbing them with a stiff
bristle brush, and rinsing in copious amounts of clean water. Disinfect by
soaking the pot in weak sodium hypochlorite solution (chlorine bleach) for
several hours, then rinsing well again and drying till no trace of chlorine
smell remains.
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...994/clean.html

Old 05-02-2012, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 3, 2:42*pm, Kay Lancaster wrote:
[...]

Kay, will that work on clay sewer pipe? I have several of those
around the garden, sort of as objets d''art. Some have acquired a lot
of white crusts on the part that has been in the ground. They don't
need to be disinfected, since they won't be housing any plants. So
just scrubbing might do it?

(Why am I making work for myself...g)

HB
Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered User

Thanks a lot for all the info and suggestions, Kay. I'll pass this on to my boss and see what he wants to do, though of course it'll be me actually *doing* all the work!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 20:02:20 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson wrote:
Old clay pots can be cleaned up for reuse by scrubbing them with a stiff
bristle brush, and rinsing in copious amounts of clean water. Â*Disinfect by
soaking the pot in weak sodium hypochlorite solution (chlorine bleach) for
several hours, then rinsing well again and drying till no trace of chlorine
smell remains.http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...994/clean.html

Kay, will that work on clay sewer pipe? I have several of those
around the garden, sort of as objets d''art. Some have acquired a lot
of white crusts on the part that has been in the ground. They don't
need to be disinfected, since they won't be housing any plants. So
just scrubbing might do it?

Yup. With something as thick as sewer pipe, don't be afraid to get in there
with some steel wool.

(Why am I making work for myself...g)

Because it feels so good when you stop?

Kay

Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

of white crusts on the part that has been in the ground. They don't
need to be disinfected, since they won't be housing any plants. So
just scrubbing might do it?

PS: have you considered coating them with paraffin (the wax, not British for
gasoline) once they're clean. If they are not going to house plants, then if
you stop the wicking, you stop the crusts growing. Or you could raise them
on glazed pot feet or the like.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 9, 2:42*am, Kay Lancaster wrote:
of white crusts on the part that has been in the ground. *They don't
need to be disinfected, since they won't be housing any plants. *So
just scrubbing might do it?

PS: have you considered coating them with paraffin (the wax, not British for
gasoline) once they're clean. *If they are not going to house plants, then if
you stop the wicking, you stop the crusts growing. *Or you could raise them
on glazed pot feet or the like.

Kewl idea! Will follow up when/if I ever get the time to remove the
white crud.
Thanks for new info.

HB

[IMG] code is On

Palm Tree ID + little palm? mgunnill United Kingdom 6 15-06-2010 11:03 AM
A poorly Torbay (Cordyline) Palm [email protected] United Kingdom 0 15-03-2007 02:22 PM
Supply Sago Palm (Cycas revolute), Finger Palm (Rhapis ,Windmill palm (Trachycarpus garrytsen Marketplace 0 24-08-2005 01:11 AM
wisteria poorly minerva nine Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Poorly Lemon tree sparky United Kingdom 7 13-12-2002 10:32 AM