Old 11-12-2002, 09:00 PM
sparky

Default Poorly Lemon tree

Dear All

Wonder if anyone can give me some advice I have a lemon tree grown from a
pip about 8 years old

All was going fine until the autumn when suddenly the leaves began falling
off from the bottom up and it gave the appearance of dying rapidly in fact I
thought it had died but there are still a few leaves left at the top

The tree seems to be stable now although no new growth

Can anyone offer me any advice on what is wrong ?

Thanks

Sparky

Old 11-12-2002, 09:59 PM
Michael Berridge

sparky wrote in message ...
Dear All

Wonder if anyone can give me some advice I have a lemon tree grown from

pip about 8 years old

All was going fine until the autumn when suddenly the leaves began

falling
off from the bottom up and it gave the appearance of dying rapidly in

fact I
thought it had died but there are still a few leaves left at the top

The tree seems to be stable now although no new growth

Can anyone offer me any advice on what is wrong ?

Possibly vine weevil? take it out of the pot and look for small white
grubs, usually sort of comma shaped. They eat the roots and can easily
kill a plant, treat with Bio Provado.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 11-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Michael wrote in message
Wonder if anyone can give me some advice I have a lemon tree grown from

pip about 8 years old

All was going fine until the autumn when suddenly the leaves began

falling
off from the bottom up and it gave the appearance of dying rapidly in

fact I
thought it had died but there are still a few leaves left at the top

The tree seems to be stable now although no new growth

Can anyone offer me any advice on what is wrong ?

Possibly vine weevil? take it out of the pot and look for small white
grubs, usually sort of comma shaped. They eat the roots and can easily
kill a plant, treat with Bio Provado.

Also when did you last repot it in fresh ericaceous compost?

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 12-12-2002, 09:05 AM
Druss

"sparky" wrote in message
Dear All

Wonder if anyone can give me some advice I have a lemon tree grown from a
pip about 8 years old

All was going fine until the autumn when suddenly the leaves began falling
off from the bottom up and it gave the appearance of dying rapidly in fact

thought it had died but there are still a few leaves left at the top

The tree seems to be stable now although no new growth

Can anyone offer me any advice on what is wrong ?

Thanks

Sparky

Most common problems for lemon trees are incorrect watering, over exposure
to central heating or red spider mite, all three of which can cause the tree
to suffer and drop leaves.

Mine were dropping leaves, in the heated greenhouse, so I sprayed them with
something obnoxious to rid them of red spider mite and watered them with an
official winter citrus feed, supposed to help keep the leaves on and green,
cannot report back much yet, since this all occured more or less this week.

Duncan

Old 12-12-2002, 05:40 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:00:33 -0000, "sparky" wrote:

Wonder if anyone can give me some advice I have a lemon tree grown from a
pip about 8 years old

In my experience: overwatering, red spider, vine weevil or scale
insect. I've lost citrus plants to all of them!!!
Cheers
Pam

Bristol

Old 12-12-2002, 08:00 PM
sparky

Thanks for the various advice - I can't find any trace of bugs or root
problems

But I will now repot in ericaceous which it wasn't in before

Thanks again

Sparky

Old 12-12-2002, 11:16 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"sparky" wrote in message
But I will now repot in ericaceous which it wasn't in before

Yes Lemons like it more acid than other citrus, add some drainage material
too, inert grit* or I use the bark chips as used by orchid growers to make
suitable composts.
Water with rainwater most times but occasionally use Hard Tapwater if you
have it as that will give the plant the calcium it needs. Officially it's
not an acidophile.

* to check that grit is inert pour some ordinary vinegar on some, if it
froths don't use it. (old trick from my tropical fishkeeping days) :-)

Old 13-12-2002, 10:32 AM

Various things can cause citrus to drop leaves..

My cats pull off the lower leaves of mine.....

- h