Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Missed required minimum on IRA

I just discovered that I fell a little short on my required minimum
distribution on my IRA.

Is there anything I can do to repair this oversight?

If not, how do I go about paying the penalty?

Old 13-02-2012, 07:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 12, 9:42*am, "Ray" wrote:
I just discovered that I fell a little short on my required minimum
distribution on my IRA.

Is there anything I can do to repair this oversight?

If not, how do I go about paying the penalty?

You could ask the IRS. You probably wouldn't be the first.

Or you could ask your tax preparer (if you have one)

Or you could call your Congresscritter's office and ask to speak with
a constituent services staff member.

However, if you received a written notice in the mail of your required
mininum distrib. you would probably have to come up with a good reason
that you fell "a little short" -- meaning how short?

This is not legal or IRS advice. A news group might not be the best
place to ask about such a delicate matter.

Good luck.

HB