Old 20-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Gem Gem is offline
Registered User

Location: Manchester, UK
Default Climber advice?

Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and relatively new to gardening, my mission this year is to sort out my garden.

I am wanting a climber which is fast growing, hardy, likes partial shade, ideally evergreen and if possible something which flowers although this is not essential.

I know the Russian Vine grows quickly but its looks a bit too straggly for the 'look' I am wanting.

I am leaning towards virginia creeper but I know this isnt an evergreen and doesnt flower. I am a bit dubious about going for an evergreen clematis as a clematis I had last year didnt do well at all.

I have also come across the "Fire Creeper"?

I am currently growing from seed some Cobea (sp?) plant but I would like something to cover my garage wall asap as it is very unsightly!

Anything which would attract birds or give them somewhere to nest would be a great bonus!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gemma
Old 20-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem View Post
[...]

Hi Gem, as a grower and seller of plants, this is probably one of the most frequently asked question, along with it must be salt hardy (living as I do in Cornwall) and there are three candidates that spring to mind. The first and probably the most popular is an evergreen honeysuckle called Lonicera halliana, its fast growing, evergreen, hardy and has attractive yellow and white sweetly scented summer flowers and does very well in the shade. Second would be a climbing hydrangea going by the name of Hydrangea seemanii, its hardy, self clinging, evergreen and grows well in the shade. Its not as fast growing (initially) as the former but does the job of covering very well and it has white lace- cap like flowers in summer. Third would be a shrub that is used against walls and is called Pyracantha, its relatively quick growing, evergreen, very hardy and is smothered in white flowers in June, followed by a stunning display of autumn berries (that the birds love) The only downside with the very attractive shrub is that its incredibly thorny.
No doubt others will offer alternatives but these are (from experience) what I'd be planting.
regards, Lannerman.
Old 20-03-2012, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/20/12 4:37 AM, Gem wrote:
[...]

Star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) is hardy to about -8C. It is
evergreen and will grow densely on a trellis. Against a wall, it will
need some kind of support, either being tied to the wall or else
growning on some kind of mesh hanging from the top of the wall. It
blooms repeatedly from late spring into early autumn, with small white,
star-like flowers that have a greate perfume. The plant prefers sun or
partial shade.

T. asiaticum is slightly more hardy than T. jasminoides.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see