Old 03-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Full Meta

Default Help: Identifying a hedge

Hi all,

New homeowner and new to gardening. I'm interested in possibly extending an
existing hedge, but I don't know species so I'm unable to research it. I
have a few pictures of it he

http://www.snice.net/hedge.jpg
http://www.snice.net/hedge_closeup.jpg

Right now, it's a little over 6 feet tall. I'd like to know how tall this
species is capable of being 8 or 9 feet tall in open sunlight.

Thanks for any input.

F.M.

Old 03-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Vox Humana

Default Identifying a hedge

"Full Meta" wrote in message
Hi all,

New homeowner and new to gardening. I'm interested in possibly extending

an
existing hedge, but I don't know species so I'm unable to research it. I
have a few pictures of it he

http://www.snice.net/hedge.jpg
http://www.snice.net/hedge_closeup.jpg

Right now, it's a little over 6 feet tall. I'd like to know how tall this
species is capable of being 8 or 9 feet tall in open sunlight.

Thanks for any input.

It looks like a ligustrum (privet) hedge. Does it get small white flowers?

Old 03-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Full Meatbase

I don't recall any flowers, but I could be wrong. I took a closeup picture
of the leaves in case that would be helpful.

http://www.snice.net/hedge_leaves.jpg

It looks like a ligustrum (privet) hedge. Does it get small white flowers?

Old 03-05-2003, 10:44 PM
david

It is one of the forms of Box.
If you compare the size of the leaves with the bluebells in the first pic
you will see they are much to small to be privet
http://www.snice.net/hedge.jpg

In the latest pic you can see the older leaves showing dark glossy green and
the square stem of Box
http://www.snice.net/hedge_leaves.jpg

Have a look at
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan..._japonica.html
--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 03-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Full Meatbase

Thank you for the feedback.

Unfortunately, most descriptions say that Buxus Japonica grows to only 6
feet. I'm looking for an 8 or 9-foot hedge. I like the small, dense leaves
of the Buxus family - is there a variety that grows taller than the
Japonica?

[IMG] code is On

Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
Need Help Identifying Plant Help Please CAZ Gardening 2 08-07-2004 12:03 AM
Help identifying 2 Roses Linda Roses 6 29-05-2003 05:21 AM
Battling Algae - Need help identifying RifRaf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:11 AM
Help identifying....... Purchgdss Gardening 10 03-04-2003 03:20 PM