Old 29-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Registered User

Default Disguising a boundary view

Hi

The end of my NW facing garden has a 6 foot conifer hedge across it which is owned by the bungalow we back on to. Unfortunately it is not quite high enough and their bungalow roof is quite a dominant backdrop to our garden. The hedge is also dead in places on our side. We would like to plant some trees/large shrubs up against it to screen/disguise the view and give more privacy. Next door (to my right) have solved a similar problem by putting up a row of leylandi trees but I dont want to do this as it will block out too much light to the people we back on to.
Any other ideas for screening would be really appreciate as my husband and I are going round in circles on this one!
Old 29-03-2012, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

kat01 wrote:

The end of my NW facing garden has a 6 foot conifer hedge across it
which is owned by the bungalow we back on to. Unfortunately it is not
quite high enough and their bungalow roof is quite a dominant backdrop
to our garden. The hedge is also dead in places on our side. We would
like to plant some trees/large shrubs up against it to screen/disguise
the view and give more privacy. Next door (to my right) have solved a
similar problem by putting up a row of leylandi trees but I dont want to
do this as it will block out too much light to the people we back on
to.

Why are you asking here, shouldn't you be discussing this with the
offending neighbor? Why are you concerned about blocking light to the
neighbor with the horrid dying hedge? Why can't you discuss with them
about replacing their dying plants and letting them grow taller... I
have to imagine you already attempted a civil discussion and failed,
so obviously they're simply nasty people. Me, I'd probably plant my
own hedge on my own property... actually since I'm not into
maintaining a hedge I'd be much more inclined to erect a "Goodbye
Neighbor" privacy fence, a nice tall cedar stockade... make sure it's
on your property with enough set back so you can work on the other
side to maintain your fence and trim any of the neighbor's encroaching
plant growth. If they give you any lip paint their side with some
grotesque mural, perhaps a characterture of neighbor's wifey
fornicating with farm animals.