Old 15-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Registered User

Default Busy lizzie..House Plant

Hi, I have just joined and was wanting to know if anyone has a Busy lizzie house plant or where i could get one from.
We had one has a child and i was always taking cuttings and giving them as gifts to family and friends..It was back in the 70s.
My mum is in her 80s and asked me if i still had one of them pink plants.....
So i would love to try and find one for her..Have googled it but it just comes up with bedding plants.
They had a fleshy stem and vibrant pink flowers...My Dad used to say they were weeds because we had them in every room..
Its funny how you remember something so long ago.
Old 15-05-2012, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 15/05/2012 10:51, black eyed susi wrote:
Hi, I have just joined and was wanting to know if anyone has a Busy
lizzie house plant or where i could get one from.
We had one has a child and i was always taking cuttings and giving them
as gifts to family and friends..It was back in the 70s.
My mum is in her 80s and asked me if i still had one of them pink
plants.....
So i would love to try and find one for her..Have googled it but it just
comes up with bedding plants.
They had a fleshy stem and vibrant pink flowers...My Dad used to say
they were weeds because we had them in every room..
Its funny how you remember something so long ago.

Assuming you are in the UK, the "standard" bedding busy lizzie suffered
badly from a disease called impatiens downy mildew last year, which
effectively wiped out the stocks. The disease doesn't affect the New
Guinea hybrids or one of the other hybrids. Have a look at the New
Guinea hybrids available, which you will often find in the greenhouse
area of garden centres. Even if you can find the usual bedding busy
lizzie or seeds of it available for sale, I would be very wary as
although those plants may be completely healthy, the disease may be
blown in and flare up again.

More info he
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=205

--

Jeff
Old 16-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered User

Jeff
The Busy Lizzie i mean was erect and branched out..Nothing like the bedding variety..It got quite tall.
Cheers for your knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
[...]

Impatiens downy mildew / Royal Horticultural Society

--

Jeff
Old 16-05-2012, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 16/05/2012 11:47, black eyed susi wrote:
Jeff
The Busy Lizzie i mean was erect and branched out..Nothing like the
bedding variety..It got quite tall.
Cheers for your knowledge.

The only thing you can do is google "impatiens" and look through the
links to see if the one you are looking for is shown.

For example, have a look he
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d...ual/impatiens/
(also look under the heading "See all kinds" - New Guinea Impatiens.)

--

Jeff
Old 16-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Registered User

Jeff.
I have googled it and asked around, But no joy.
If i had the full Latin name would help.

Thanx again

TE='Jeff Layman[_2_];958878']On 16/05/2012 11:47, black eyed susi wrote:
Jeff
The Busy Lizzie i mean was erect and branched out..Nothing like the
bedding variety..It got quite tall.
Cheers for your knowledge.

The only thing you can do is google "impatiens" and look through the
links to see if the one you are looking for is shown.

For example, have a look he
Impatiens - Plant Encyclopedia - BHG.com
(also look under the heading "See all kinds" - New Guinea Impatiens.)

--

Jeff[/quote]

Old 04-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by black eyed susi View Post
Hi, I have just joined and was wanting to know if anyone has a Busy lizzie house plant or where i could get one from.

Its funny how you remember something so long ago.
Did you ever find the old fashioned bizzie lizzie? I know the one you mean, and had one myself in 1980's I have just acquired a new cutting.