Old 23-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Registered User

Default tree disease and cure?

Hello all,
I am brand new here and believe my tree has a disease...
I have inherited the tree when i bought the house last year... i don't know what type of tree it is, it now has black spots all over the bark and undersides of all the branches (attached pic's) the leaves look as though they are deteriorating around the edges and the tree is loosing leaves... I am in the north east UK.
Can anyone tell me what type of tree this is, if this is a disease what type, and is there a cure...?
Any help/advice would be very much appreciated...
Thanks
legepe
Attached Thumbnails
tree disease and cure?-imag01.jpg   tree disease and cure?-imag02.jpg
Old 23-06-2012, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

legepe wrote:
Hello all,
I am brand new here and believe my tree has a disease...
I have inherited the tree when i bought the house last year... i don't
know what type of tree it is, it now has black spots all over the bark
and undersides of all the branches (attached pic's) the leaves look as
though they are deteriorating around the edges and the tree is loosing
leaves... I am in the north east UK.
Can anyone tell me what type of tree this is, if this is a disease
what type, and is there a cure...?
Any help/advice would be very much appreciated...
Thanks
legepe

Filename: IMAG01.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15098|
Filename: IMAG02.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15099|

Looks like a bad case of scale insect to me, there are various cures. Check
goggle images for a match.

Old 24-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
legepe wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot for the information...
Old 25-06-2012, 12:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

legepe said:

Hello all,
I am brand new here and believe my tree has a disease...
I have inherited the tree when i bought the house last year... i don't
know what type of tree it is, it now has black spots all over the bark
and undersides of all the branches (attached pic's) the leaves look as
though they are deteriorating around the edges and the tree is loosing
leaves... I am in the north east UK.
Can anyone tell me what type of tree this is, if this is a disease what
type, and is there a cure...?

It looks like a variegated box elder tree (possibly Acer negundo 'Flamingo'),
with a serious infestation of scale insect.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated...
Thanks
legepe

|Filename: IMAG01.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php

attachmentid=15098|
|Filename: IMAG02.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?

attachmentid=15099|

Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 25-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by legepe View Post
Can anyone tell me what type of tree this is, if this is a disease what type, and is there a cure...?
Acer negundo, colloquially box elder.

I agree that it has a bad infestation of scale insect.

Scale insects have a hard covering on them which protects them from insecticides. So you will have to scrape them off and then spray the tree with insecticide (provado is generally recommended), to try and get the juveniles which have not got the hard covering yet.

Acers can be a bit fickle. You may yet lose it. I've lost a few over the years, though Acer negundo is rather more robust than japanese maples, which are the ones more easily lost.