Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Registered User

Default Visiting gardens in UK

Hello, I am from South Africa and have decided that not later than next year is the time l do what l've been dreaming about. Visiting Chelsea flower show. But not only the show, l want to visit some open gardens. Hire a car and visit some small towns and gardens. Its been a dream of mine for many years and next year that dream must come true but l really need some advice as l dont want to do the tour group thing. Any advice will be welcome. Thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/07/2012 16:20, Roselee wrote:
Hello, I am from South Africa and have decided that not later than next
year is the time l do what l've been dreaming about. Visiting Chelsea
flower show. But not only the show, l want to visit some open gardens.
Hire a car and visit some small towns and gardens. Its been a dream of
mine for many years and next year that dream must come true but l really
need some advice as l dont want to do the tour group thing. Any advice
will be welcome. Thanks

You can look he
http://www.ngs.org.uk/
But I doubt that next year's schedule is ready.

Also look he
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visi...ens-and-parks/

At the time of the Chelsea Show, I would expect rhododendrons and
azaleas to be at their best. Some of the larger gardens (eg Exbury) are
renowned for their displays.

--

Jeff

Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered User

Thanks for replys. Dont mind that shedule not yet available. Will love to have some names of gardens or small towns renowned for their gardens and views. l love the countryside and want to concentrate my holiday in the countryside. A real rural holiday is what l want - thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
On 11/07/2012 16:20, Roselee wrote:
Hello, I am from South Africa and have decided that not later than next
year is the time l do what l've been dreaming about. Visiting Chelsea
flower show. But not only the show, l want to visit some open gardens.
Hire a car and visit some small towns and gardens. Its been a dream of
mine for many years and next year that dream must come true but l really
need some advice as l dont want to do the tour group thing. Any advice
will be welcome. Thanks

You can look he
NGS - The National Gardens Scheme. Gardens Open For Charity
But I doubt that next year's schedule is ready.

Also look he
Gardens & parks - National Trust

Old 14-07-2012, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Roselee" wrote in message

Hello, I am from South Africa and have decided that not later than next
year is the time l do what l've been dreaming about. Visiting Chelsea
flower show. But not only the show, l want to visit some open gardens.
Hire a car and visit some small towns and gardens. Its been a dream of
mine for many years and next year that dream must come true but l really
need some advice as l dont want to do the tour group thing. Any advice
will be welcome. Thanks

The National Trust may offer the single largest list of gardens: but there
are many more besides (e.g. Westonbirt Arboretum.) But distances
are so small (for a S.African) that you seldom go wrong simply asking
one gardener where she visits for pleasure.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs