Old 14-07-2012, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Badly damaged tree? ? ?

We had a very beautiful, healthy coral bark maple tree which was about eight
years old, and 10 feet high.

It was destroyed when a nearby tree fell onto it, leaving only a tall stem,
with one sprig of leaves about a foot long sticking out of the side.

Question: What if anything can I do to restore this tree?

You can see a photo at:

https://sites.google.com/site/10test20/

Old 14-07-2012, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:27:09 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

We had a very beautiful, healthy coral bark maple tree which was about eight
years old, and 10 feet high.

It was destroyed when a nearby tree fell onto it, leaving only a tall stem,
with one sprig of leaves about a foot long sticking out of the side.

Question: What if anything can I do to restore this tree?

You can see a photo at:

https://sites.google.com/site/10test20/

In 3-4 years it'll be back to where it was.

Old 14-07-2012, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ray" writes:

R We had a very beautiful, healthy coral bark maple tree which was about
eight years old, and 10 feet high.

It was destroyed when a nearby tree fell onto it, leaving only a tall
stem, with one sprig of leaves about a foot long sticking out of the
side.

Question: What if anything can I do to restore this tree?

You can see a photo at:

https://sites.google.com/site/10test20/

I had a Locust damaged worse than that by deer.
Who knew they'd try to eat a 4 foot tall tree in it's entirety.
What they didn't eat, completely, they stripped the bark from.
What was left looked similar to what you've got.

Back in the cage it went and it's recovered to it's 4 foot size
this year.

I think your tree has a chance.

--
Dan Espen
Old 14-07-2012, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ray" wrote:
"Brooklyn1" wrote:
"Ray" wrote:

We had a very beautiful, healthy coral bark maple tree which was about
eight years old, and 10 feet high.

It was destroyed when a nearby tree fell onto it, leaving only a tall stem,
with one sprig of leaves about a foot long sticking out of the side.

Question: What if anything can I do to restore this tree?

You can see a photo at:

https://sites.google.com/site/10test20/

In 3-4 years it'll be back to where it was.

Thanks. So I should just do nothing?

I'd clean up all the trash about and look around for any rotten trees
nearby that may fall next. All I'd do is trim the broken end cleanly
with a fine toothed saw and place the bottom half of an empty plastic
water bottle on top to keep rain water out until it heals... if the
cap collects condensation punch 2-3 small holes in the sides for
ventilation... moisture will cause dry rot.

Old 15-07-2012, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/14/12 12:27 PM, Ray wrote:
We had a very beautiful, healthy coral bark maple tree which was about eight
years old, and 10 feet high.

It was destroyed when a nearby tree fell onto it, leaving only a tall stem,
with one sprig of leaves about a foot long sticking out of the side.

Question: What if anything can I do to restore this tree?

You can see a photo at:

https://sites.google.com/site/10test20/

The page at https://sites.google.com/site/10test20/ does not
completely download. I cannot see the photo.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 15-07-2012, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sorry for the trouble. I can't imagine what's wrong, because a couple of
others seemed to have had no problem opening the page. Could it be that you
have some sort of blocker turned on?

In any case, the description pretty well tells the story -- a single tale
stem about 10 feet high, with one lonely branch of leaves growing out of the
trunk.

Old 15-07-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:27:09 -0400, Ray wrote:
We had a very beautiful, healthy coral bark maple tree which was about eight
years old, and 10 feet high.

It was destroyed when a nearby tree fell onto it, leaving only a tall stem,
with one sprig of leaves about a foot long sticking out of the side.

Question: What if anything can I do to restore this tree?

You can see a photo at:

https://sites.google.com/site/10test20/

Prune the splintered up top back to good wood. Make the top cut slant
so water won't sit on the wood. Clean up any branch stubs that are
splintered also. Then wait, and it's very likely to grow back.
You'll need to do some careful shaping pruning most likely, but that will be
next growing season.

If you're in a drought area, make sure you water when needed (when the
remaining leaves start to look limp) and make sure the tree does not go
into winter in a dry condition. On the other hand, don't water so much
it's trying to grow in its own personal swamp.

Losing more than 1/3 of the mass of the tree is usually pretty tough on
a tree, but many do survive it.

There are several good pruning manuals around, but you could also ask for
help next fall from a local master gardener (free for the most part)
or a consulting arborist (pay for it).
Some city foresters also provide advice, as do certified nurserymen.

(Consulting arborists are professionals who specialize
in evaluating trees for many purposes, but they don't provide the sort of
tree service that the guys with the chain saws and chippers do. See:
http://www.asca-consultants.org/ ASCA also has an "ask the expert" service
that's free.) (Certified Nurserymen are trade organizations, mostly within a
state, and usually require new members to pass a knowledge exam. And
many members are women, despite the name. g)

Kay