Old 04-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Nancy

Default Blue Poppies & Moss

Hi,

I live in an area that is considered zone 3A. I have an L-shaped area
of garden that nestles between the foundation wall and the poured
cement sidewalk. We've filled in with soil and compost. It faces north
and northeast and receives minimal sunlight and keeps moisture very
well (too much?)

In any event I want to treat this as a "shade" garden and would like
some "showier" flowers in there. I've tried growing some blue poppies
from seed (so far a flop). My other concern is that there is now quite
a bit of moss growing in the garden soil. Some of the moss is starting
to grow up the stone work on the facing of the house as well. A
girlfriend suggested I get rid of the moss right away or nothing will
grow there at all?

As an amateur gardener, I'm looking for suggestions as to what I can
do with this space. Last year I had some violets growing and I've
planted one hosta and two silver mounds. The hosta comes in very late
and the mounds seem to do ok (although I've found it's hard to kill
them no matter what one does). I tend to like really strong vibrant
colours as splashes in my garden.

Any ideas?

[IMG] code is On

Blue Poppies Dwayne United Kingdom 11 24-07-2004 04:03 PM
Blue Poppies Dwayne United Kingdom 5 21-07-2004 11:40 PM
Blue Poppies Dwayne United Kingdom 5 21-07-2004 09:57 PM
The machines continue to grind, the appearances of my beloved Blue Chicory, red median poppies, Harriet Nation Gardening 0 05-06-2004 11:08 PM
The machines continue to grind, the appearances of my beloved Blue Chicory, red median poppies, whit madgardener Gardening 0 01-06-2004 08:02 PM