Old 22-07-2004, 12:29 AM
Dwayne

Default Blue Poppies

Last year a gentleman put a message in one fo the news groups for free blue
poppy seeds. He sent some to me and true to my nature, nothing came up.

Do any of you know how I can contact this gentleman and ask for another
chance at making them work? If so, please send me that information.

Dwayne

Old 22-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Rod

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 06:58:30 -0500, "Dwayne" wrote:

Last year a gentleman put a message in one fo the news groups for free blue
poppy seeds. He sent some to me and true to my nature, nothing came up.

Do any of you know how I can contact this gentleman and ask for another
chance at making them work? If so, please send me that information.

Dwayne

It was me, email me off group to remind me of your snail mail address
and I'll send you some more towards the end of the summer.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 22-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Dwayne
writes
Last year a gentleman put a message in one fo the news groups for free blue
poppy seeds. He sent some to me and true to my nature, nothing came up.

Blue poppies are hard enough to grow from seed that you would probably
be better off buying one from a garden centre. Fresh seed should come up
like mustard and cress - the difficulty is in transplanting them and
keeping them alive long enough to form decent sized plants.

Do any of you know how I can contact this gentleman and ask for another
chance at making them work? If so, please send me that information.

I'd recommend buying one.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 22-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 06:58:30 -0500, "Dwayne" wrote:

Last year a gentleman put a message in one fo the news groups for free blue
poppy seeds. He sent some to me and true to my nature, nothing came up.

Do any of you know how I can contact this gentleman and ask for another
chance at making them work? If so, please send me that information.

Dwayne

Did you put the seed tray in the fridge (not freezer) for a few weeks
after you sowed them? When I grew them many years ago, such treatment
was the recommended thing. Mine came up like M&C, and then all damped
off! They either need pricking out quite soon after germinating, to
allow good air circulation, or regular spraying with fungicide, or
both.

--
Chris

Old 22-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Rod

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:31:00 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Did you put the seed tray in the fridge (not freezer) for a few weeks
after you sowed them? When I grew them many years ago, such treatment
was the recommended thing. Mine came up like M&C, and then all damped
off! They either need pricking out quite soon after germinating, to
allow good air circulation, or regular spraying with fungicide, or
both.

That's not usually needed with fresh seeds. I tend to just leave the
seed trays alone in the shade house with a piece of glass raised above
them to shed the worst of the rain. In spring you usually find a small
proportion have survived out of the huge number that germinated. Still
normally more plants than you can use. Only at that point do I prick
them out, usually into 72 hole plug trays. Any that survive that move
are usually pretty robust and losses will be few from there onwards.

Old 24-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Rod

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:37:22 +0100, Janet Galpin
wrote:

Mine germinated well and one plant came through the winter. I just
happened to find it yesterday nestling among the weeds I was pulling out
and looking quite contented. I think all the rain has suited it well.
Thanks Rod. Maybe a flower next summer?

Janet G

Don't see why not. That's better than my first 2 attempts.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

Blue Poppies Dwayne United Kingdom 5 21-07-2004 11:40 PM
Blue Poppies Dwayne United Kingdom 5 21-07-2004 09:57 PM
The machines continue to grind, the appearances of my beloved Blue Chicory, red median poppies, Harriet Nation Gardening 0 05-06-2004 11:08 PM
The machines continue to grind, the appearances of my beloved Blue Chicory, red median poppies, whit madgardener Gardening 0 01-06-2004 08:02 PM
Blue Poppies & Moss Nancy Gardening 0 04-05-2003 05:08 PM