Old 30-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered User

Post What's eating my leaves?!

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum having previosuly used my granddad for advice on all things 'green fingered' unfortunaly he's no longer with us so I'm finding I am somewhat stuck for advice these days.

Hoping someone can help me identify what is eating my hedge as I have no idea, can't even seem to find the bug 'in the act'.

If anyone could kindly identify what it is then I'll zap the hedge accordingly.

Many thanks

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
What's eating my leaves?!-leaves.jpg
Old 30-07-2012, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What's eating my leaves?!

MattW30 said:

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum having previosuly used my granddad for advice on
all things 'green fingered' unfortunaly he's no longer with us so I'm
finding I am somewhat stuck for advice these days.

Hoping someone can help me identify what is eating my hedge as I have
no idea, can't even seem to find the bug 'in the act'.

If anyone could kindly identify what it is then I'll zap the hedge
accordingly.

|Filename: Leaves.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php
attachmentid=15196|

Have you tried going out in the middle of the night with a light?
It could be a type of beetle that feeds at night and hides in the
soil during the day. We have been suffering an outbreak of a
fairly new invasive pest, the Asiatic garden beetle, which has
chewed up some of my plants similar to that.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 30-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered User

Thanks for that, no I haven't tried that, I'll have a look this evening.

QUOTE='Pat Kiewicz[_2_];965715']MattW30 said:

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum having previosuly used my granddad for advice on
all things 'green fingered' unfortunaly he's no longer with us so I'm
finding I am somewhat stuck for advice these days.

Hoping someone can help me identify what is eating my hedge as I have
no idea, can't even seem to find the bug 'in the act'.

If anyone could kindly identify what it is then I'll zap the hedge
accordingly.

|Filename: Leaves.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?
attachmentid=15196|

Have you tried going out in the middle of the night with a light?
It could be a type of beetle that feeds at night and hides in the
soil during the day. We have been suffering an outbreak of a
fairly new invasive pest, the Asiatic garden beetle, which has
chewed up some of my plants similar to that.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored[/quote]
Old 30-07-2012, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:25:34 +0000, MattW30
wrote:

Thanks for that, no I haven't tried that, I'll have a look this
evening.

QUOTE='Pat Kiewicz[_2_];965715']MattW30 said:-

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum having previosuly used my granddad for advice on
all things 'green fingered' unfortunaly he's no longer with us so I'm
finding I am somewhat stuck for advice these days.

Hoping someone can help me identify what is eating my hedge as I have
no idea, can't even seem to find the bug 'in the act'.

If anyone could kindly identify what it is then I'll zap the hedge
accordingly.
-
|Filename: Leaves.JPG |
|Download: http://tinyurl.com/3txamgj
attachmentid=15196|
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+-
-
Have you tried going out in the middle of the night with a light?
It could be a type of beetle that feeds at night and hides in the
soil during the day. We have been suffering an outbreak of a
fairly new invasive pest, the Asiatic garden beetle, which has
chewed up some of my plants similar to that.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Good luck with your quest. I see you got here and will now find the
help you search for.

[IMG] code is On

Leaves, leaves and yet more leaves! John Towill United Kingdom 12 01-11-2003 12:43 PM
something eating at canna leaves rosemarie face Gardening 2 10-07-2003 07:44 PM
Red Bug on Lilies Eating Leaves? Doug Gardening 10 21-06-2003 04:20 AM
Pest eating leaves Tom North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Pest eating leaves Tom North Carolina 2 15-04-2003 11:32 PM