Old 31-07-2012, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default ID this plant?

A while back I posted a photo but people were not sure what it was.

Now it has bloomed... from a point on the EDGE of a leaf! A sort of
droopy pink blooms that flops down.

Hope this pic makes it. I took 2 but can't find the other.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...Dthisplant.jpg

TIA

HB
Old 31-07-2012, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 30, 8:01*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
A while back I posted a photo but people were not sure what it was.

Now it has bloomed... from a point on the EDGE of a leaf! *A sort of
droopy pink blooms that flops down.

Hope this pic makes it. *I took 2 but can't find the other.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view¤...

TIA

HB

This is the other one -- I think. Very confused.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...icbloom001.jpg
Old 31-07-2012, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 30, 8:01*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
A while back I posted a photo but people were not sure what it was.

Now it has bloomed... from a point on the EDGE of a leaf! *A sort of
droopy pink blooms that flops down.

Hope this pic makes it. *I took 2 but can't find the other.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view¤...

TIA

HB

No, not bloom. This is the ORIGINAL, posted long ago before it
bloomed. At least it gives you a better idea of the plant.

HB
Old 31-07-2012, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 30, 8:10*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jul 30, 8:01*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

A while back I posted a photo but people were not sure what it was.

Now it has bloomed... from a point on the EDGE of a leaf! *A sort of
droopy pink blooms that flops down.

Hope this pic makes it. *I took 2 but can't find the other.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view¤...

TIA

HB

This is the other one -- I think. * Very confused.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view¤...

Yes, that's right. Excuse mess; I haven't uploaded for a long time;
lost track of how-to.

HB
Old 31-07-2012, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/30/12 8:01 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
A while back I posted a photo but people were not sure what it was.

Now it has bloomed... from a point on the EDGE of a leaf! A sort of
droopy pink blooms that flops down.

Hope this pic makes it. I took 2 but can't find the other.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...Dthisplant.jpg

TIA

HB

It looks very much like an Ephiphyllum (orchid cactus). If so, those
are stems and not really leaves.

Ephiphyllum is a tropical cactus, not a desert cactus. It can thus take
more water than a desert cactus, but be careful not to overwater it. It
likes some organic matter in the potting mix instead of just sand; the
mix must drain well. Many varieties have no thorns.

I have two --

One is thornless except at the base of its flowers. This one has the
same flattened stems as in your photos, but it does not have as many
stems growing out of a main stem. It has relatively small pink flowers
in the late spring or early summer.

My other one has nasty, tiny thorns at the indentations of its stems,
which are triangular in cross-section instead of flat. This one has
large, day-glow magenta flowers just as the other one finishes blooming.
As its flowers fade, they collapse and droop just as in your photo.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Old 31-07-2012, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

A while back I posted a photo but people were not sure what it was.

Now it has bloomed... from a point on the EDGE of a leaf! A sort of
droopy pink blooms that flops down.

Hope this pic makes it. I took 2 but can't find the other.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=IDthisp
lant.jpg

TIA

HB

Did you not agree with my ID back then?

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

Hope Group can Open this:

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=IDthisp
lant.jpg

Epiphyllum sp., probably oxypetalum.
Old 31-07-2012, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:10:54 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Jul 30, 8:01*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
A while back I posted a photo but people were not sure what it was.

Now it has bloomed... from a point on the EDGE of a leaf! *A sort of
droopy pink blooms that flops down.

Hope this pic makes it. *I took 2 but can't find the other.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view¤...

TIA

HB

This is the other one -- I think. Very confused.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...icbloom001.jpg

It looks like a night bloomer. The leaves do too.
Maybe some help here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightblooming_cereus
Old 01-08-2012, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 30, 8:58*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your input. This is my first encounter with Epiphyllum.
I'll have to goout and check for "nasty, tiny thorns" !. Maybe the
bloom was there for some time and I didn't notice until drooped.

Is there anything I need to do now?

Sunshine, this gets a fair amount in summer, but less in
"winter". Is that OK? Also, what kind of food, if any?
TIA

HB
Old 01-08-2012, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 30, 9:05*pm, Amos Nomore wrote:
In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

A while back I posted a photo but people were not sure what it was.

Now it has bloomed... from a point on the EDGE of a leaf! *A sort of
droopy pink blooms that flops down.

Hope this pic makes it. *I took 2 but can't find the other.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view¤...
lant.jpg

TIA

HB

Did you not agree with my ID back then?

Yes, but I didn't at first locate the exchange "back then". I
appreciate your introducing me to this exotic bloom. My first
encounter!

HB

In article
,

Hope Group can Open this:

Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...h/?action=view...

TIA

HB

This is the other one -- I think. * Very confused.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view¤...

It looks like a night bloomer. The leaves do too.
Maybe some help here.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightblooming_cereus

So far, looks more like the Epiphyllum that others mentioned. I did
visit a Cereus Web site, but didn't look the same, and also not sure
it's a night bloomer. It's open during the day.

Thanks for your reply.

HB

HB

Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Is it fully open or drooping as you say?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

***Drooping. Unattractive. I can't say, because I didn't think to
check (not being aware that it HAD bloomed), whether it had been
earlier "fully open".
Last 3 -4 days, drooping.

Does such a flower typically start to droop after being fully open?

TIA

HB
Old 02-08-2012, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

The flowers on my Ephiphyllum do indeed droop (as in your photo) after
only a very few days.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 4, 8:11*am, PhoenixWench wrote:
On 7/30/2012 11:16 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Jul 30, 8:10 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jul 30, 8:01 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

A while back I posted a photo but people were not sure what it was.

Now it has bloomed... from a point on the EDGE of a leaf! *A sort of
droopy pink blooms that flops down.

Hope this pic makes it. *I took 2 but can't find the other.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...h/?action=view...

TIA

HB

This is the other one -- I think. * Very confused.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...h/?action=view...

Yes, that's right. Excuse mess; I haven't uploaded for a long time;
lost track of how-to.

HB

I got interested in this plant and did a little scouting, and found this
sitehttp://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Epiphyllum
which might help you narrow down which variety it is next time it blooms ;-)

--

PhoenixWench

Thanks very much for your research. I do need to find out how often this sly critter blooms, because the current bloom took me totally by surprise.

HB

[...]