Old 05-08-2012, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Weather anomalies

Hope I spelled that right g

Wondering if anybody else is experiencing unusual weather.

Here, in So.Calif coastal, where I have observed the weather cycle for
[censored] years], everything used to be steady -- totally
predictable.

But this year, I fear that global warming is finally hitting home.
The Spring was so cool that my summer crops may not even be ready by
the time I go abroad (end Oct). May and June are *supposed* to be
cool and overcast -- the well-known "May grey/June gloom". Didn't
totally materialize. Now we are in August, and still having the
familiar "night and morning low clouds" -- words I've heard the radio
folks say since forever.

Mind you, personally I am delighted to have a pleasant summer; it's
just that crops are a little confused.

We usually get about 2 weeks hot & HUMID (I HATE) in August or
September. Be interesting to see if it
materializes this year.

Anyway, to summarize, I would be interested in others' reports of
weather anomalies.

HB
Old 06-08-2012, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/5/12 3:00 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Some 30 miles from you, we had almost average winter chill (hours below
45F) between the start of November and the end of March. However,
almost 25% of the chill hours were in the last two weeks of March, after
my roses and peach tree were already blooming and thus too late to
benefit more deciduous woody plants.

Normally 70% or more of the rain we get falls between the start of
December and the end of February. This past rainy season saw only 18%
of the total fall in those three months. We have received 8.9 inches
since the start of October against an average of 13.1 inches.

June temperatures here this year, however, were within normal ranges.
Over the past seven years, the average minimum for June was 57F; and the
average maximum was 84F. This year, the average June minimum was 55F
and the average maximum was 84F.

See my Climate page per my signature below.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Wondering if anybody else is experiencing unusual weather.

heh, we got a swirly today (low pressure
rotating the same storm over us for hours
at a time).

www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7059_Glug.jpg

we're at about 10 inches of rain here for
the past day (a normal month is 3 inches).

whitecaps in the road a few minutes ago
when the wind shifted. had me laughing...

i don't think i'll be doing any picking
for a day or two. wonder how many tomatoes
will explode. some were getting close to
being ripe i may have to go pick them anyways
and get them canned.

songbird
Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Wondering if anybody else is experiencing unusual weather.

heh, we got a swirly today (low pressure
rotating the same storm over us for hours
at a time).

www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7059_Glug.jpg

we're at about 10 inches of rain here for
the past day (a normal month is 3 inches).

whitecaps in the road a few minutes ago
when the wind shifted. had me laughing...

i don't think i'll be doing any picking
for a day or two. wonder how many tomatoes
will explode. some were getting close to
being ripe i may have to go pick them anyways
and get them canned.

OMG!

Remember your snorkel!

--Winston
Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Wondering if anybody else is experiencing unusual weather.

heh, we got a swirly today (low pressure
rotating the same storm over us for hours
at a time).

www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7059_Glug.jpg

we're at about 10 inches of rain here for
the past day (a normal month is 3 inches).

whitecaps in the road a few minutes ago
when the wind shifted. had me laughing...

i don't think i'll be doing any picking
for a day or two. wonder how many tomatoes
will explode. some were getting close to
being ripe i may have to go pick them anyways
and get them canned.

songbird

today is about 11C, no sun, with wind gusting from 50 to 80 kmh and rain
showers, I might stay in and read a book.....but wait; one of my weekend
guests has left the gate open and the horses are in the orchard turning the
mud into pugged-up crap and ogling my cabbages so I have to get them out....
grumble.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 6, 8:08*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

David, I don't keep as detailed stats as you do -- more power to you
-- I just lurch from day to day g

However, NG members unfamiliar with our respective microclimates might
be interested in a brief heads-up.

Though, as you point out, only +- 30 miles separate us, the
microclimates are vastly different. One is at the sea, and the other
is inland across a mountain.
The Valley (your side) can and does get frost, whereas it is unknown
at the beach. Also it is usually at leat 20 degrees (Fahrenheit)
cooler here than inland. This area must have been so beautiful when
just the Indians were here -- land rolling gently down to the sea.
Now, one can go only about 25-26 blocks uphill inland to find already
slightly warmer temps, and so on further inland.

Only about 2-3 days ago "summer" kicked in bigtime (plus effects of
globalwarming). However, in my old "Spanish" house, I follow the
custom of Closing blinds to the South in the morning and Opening them
in the afternoon, while Closing the Western blinds. Leaving doors/
windows judiciously open creates adequate drafts (and allows dust to
get in!). Evenings are always cool enuff to sleep w/a blanket. No A/
C needed here, but ISTR that in the Valley most people have to use
them.

It's still possible that we will get our annual Aug-Sept 2-3 weeks of
horrible HUMIDITY, which just about wrecks me. Normally humidity is
low. This is a dry climate - basically a desert, that could only grow
to its unmanageable size because of water brought from other parts of
the States by more or less unsavory means. (See "Chinatown" for one
thinly-disguised example). Also the fabled Owens Valley water wars,
where the locals dynamited NINE times the lines that were stealing
their water for L.A.

Thus endeth this lesson.

HB