Old 26-08-2012, 02:22 AM
Registered User

Default hedge problem

I have leylandii around one side of my property and it is about dead due to aphids.I now want to change to another type of hedge. It is about 12ft high by 4-5 ft thick, one side is pavement and road and other is lawn. I use it mainly for privacy so need something that will give me good thick, quick cover. I am thinking of cutting it back my side to the central trunk and then planting hedge in between the roots so I can keep my privacy while the new hedge grows then after a few years can chop down all leylandii leaving a new hedge with a decent height.
Can you tell me if this will work and what hedgeing would you recommend.
Old 26-08-2012, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

jack52 wrote:
I have leylandii around one side of my property and it is about dead
due to aphids.

Sounds unlikely, how do you know this?

I now want to change to another type of hedge. It is
about 12ft high by 4-5 ft thick, one side is pavement and road and
other is lawn. I use it mainly for privacy so need something that
will give me good thick, quick cover. I am thinking of cutting it
back my side to the central trunk and then planting hedge in between
the roots so I can keep my privacy while the new hedge grows then
after a few years can chop down all leylandii leaving a new hedge
with a decent height.
Can you tell me if this will work and what hedgeing would you
recommend.

Depends on where you are and your soil.

David
Old 26-08-2012, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 01:22:45 +0000, jack52
wrote:

I have leylandii around one side of my property and it is about dead due
to aphids.I now want to change to another type of hedge. It is about
12ft high by 4-5 ft thick, one side is pavement and road and other is
lawn. I use it mainly for privacy so need something that will give me
good thick, quick cover. I am thinking of cutting it back my side to the
central trunk and then planting hedge in between the roots so I can keep
my privacy while the new hedge grows then after a few years can chop
down all leylandii leaving a new hedge with a decent height.
Can you tell me if this will work and what hedgeing would you recommend.

Cedar stockade fence.