Old 27-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Registered User

Question Is this a Delphinium

We have a plant which is supposed to be a delphinium but while the leaves are right and the main flower is right the rest does not look right at all. Does anyone know what it is. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a Delphinium-whole-plant12.jpg   Is this a Delphinium-flowwerrr.jpg   Is this a Delphinium-foilage12.jpg   Is this a Delphinium-flower-front12.jpg
Old 27-09-2012, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is this a Delphinium

On 9/27/12 4:41 AM, Suebdo wrote:
We have a plant which is supposed to be a delphinium but while the
leaves are right and the main flower is right the rest does not look
right at all. Does anyone know what it is. thanks

|Filename: whole plant12.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15338|
|Filename: flowwerrr.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15339|
|Filename: foilage12.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15340|
|Filename: flower front12.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15341|

It sure looks like delphinium to me. The flower appears correct for
delphinium in your 4th photo.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 28-09-2012, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 27/09/2012 12:41, Suebdo wrote:
We have a plant which is supposed to be a delphinium but while the
leaves are right and the main flower is right the rest does not look
right at all. Does anyone know what it is. thanks

|Filename: whole plant12.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15338|
|Filename: flowwerrr.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15339|
|Filename: foilage12.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15340|
|Filename: flower front12.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15341|

It's Aconitum (also known as monkshood or wolfsbane). Probably a hybrid
or cultivar of A. napellus.

It is probably the most poisonous plant commonly found in gardens.
Delphiniums are toxic, too, but are not in the same league as Aconitum.

--

Jeff