Old 18-11-2012, 09:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Calandrinia Spectabilis

We planted a Calandrinia Spectabilis in a small succulent garden. This
thing grows like a weed. It has quadrupled its size in four months and
looks set to take over the entire garden. I would like to transplant this
from the garden into a planter, then trim the excess off as it hangs over
the planter.

Are there any tricks for successfully transplanting this plant?

How deep does the soil need to be? I was thinking of transplating into a
concrete bowl that is 21 inch diameter and 8 inch depth in the middle.

Old 18-11-2012, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"W" wrote:

We planted a Calandrinia Spectabilis in a small succulent garden. This
thing grows like a weed. It has quadrupled its size in four months and
looks set to take over the entire garden. I would like to transplant this
from the garden into a planter, then trim the excess off as it hangs over
the planter.

Are there any tricks for successfully transplanting this plant?

How deep does the soil need to be? I was thinking of transplating into a
concrete bowl that is 21 inch diameter and 8 inch depth in the middle.

Would help to know your growing zone, and if you'd post a picture.
There is no reason it can't do well potted, just be sure your concrete
planter has good drainage.
Old 19-11-2012, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
"W" wrote:

We planted a Calandrinia Spectabilis in a small succulent garden. This
thing grows like a weed. It has quadrupled its size in four months and
looks set to take over the entire garden. I would like to transplant

this
from the garden into a planter, then trim the excess off as it hangs over
the planter.

Are there any tricks for successfully transplanting this plant?

How deep does the soil need to be? I was thinking of transplating into a
concrete bowl that is 21 inch diameter and 8 inch depth in the middle.

Would help to know your growing zone, and if you'd post a picture.
There is no reason it can't do well potted, just be sure your concrete
planter has good drainage.

We are in USDA zone 9B, near San Jose, California.

My setup is very close to this image:

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/201...lof/5892fa.jpg

And I am proposing to remove from the ground and transplant into a bowl
similar to this one:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/molded-clay-INDUSTRIAL-DECOR-GRAY-BOWL-LARGE-21-IN-DIA-BOWL-NEW-CLAY-BOWL-/00/s/NjMxWDc1MQ==/$T2eC16ZHJHYE9nzpebl6BQqJv(G,jQ~~60_3.JPG

So again I am looking for guidance on how to remove the original planting,
and on how deep the target bowl needs to be. Basically I am trying to
understand how the roots grow and whether they go deep or whether the plant
can survive in the small bowl. I'm hoping reduced soil area under the plant
will keep it from growing out of control.

Old 19-11-2012, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 20:03:58 -0800, "W"
wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
.. .
"W" wrote:

[...]

Most any plant will eventually outgrow its container and need
replanting.
Old 24-11-2012, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/molded-clay-I...-LARGE-21-IN-D

IA-BOWL-NEW-CLAY-BOWL-/00/s/NjMxWDc1MQ==/$T2eC16ZHJHYE9nzpebl6BQqJv(G,jQ~~60
_3.JPG

So again I am looking for guidance on how to remove the original

planting,
and on how deep the target bowl needs to be. Basically I am trying to
understand how the roots grow and whether they go deep or whether the

plant
can survive in the small bowl. I'm hoping reduced soil area under the

plant
will keep it from growing out of control.

Most any plant will eventually outgrow its container and need
replanting.

I'm trying to understand soil depth requirements of this plant, and tricks
to replanting it, not predicting when it will need yet another replanting
sometime in the future.

[IMG] code is On

Rubus Spectabilis J.I.Smith Gardening 0 01-05-2010 05:52 PM
rubus spectabilis olympic double Pam Moore United Kingdom 1 19-06-2008 10:50 PM
Dicentra spectabilis leaf discolouration Emrys Davies United Kingdom 3 22-05-2006 09:50 AM