Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymouth82 View Post
Any tips and advice about cutting back an old apple tree. It was here when we bought the house and I wails say has not been cut back in years. It is much too large it had loads of fruit last yr but all very small. Should I go lightly with the cut back or really go for it. I have only ever had cherrie trees before and they liked a hard prune back every few yrs any hints?
If you are planning to do major pruning then do it in late autumn or early winter when the trees go dormant. Late winter and early spring is the best time to prune apple fruit trees. This should be done before the new bud appear. Remove all the old, dead, diseased and damaged branches from the tree. Also remove the branches that are weak, cross each other or grow downward. Make all the cuts flush with the main branch without damaging the bark.
Fruit Trees