Old 24-03-2013, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Another post-Sandy question

My composters were inundated with sea water in Sandy. Will earthworms
survive and recover, or do I need to re-seed the bins with earthworms?

Chris
Old 24-03-2013, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
My composters were inundated with sea water in Sandy. Will earthworms
survive and recover, or do I need to re-seed the bins with earthworms?

Chris

Make a pile on top with compost (not composting material) or soil with a
high organic content at least 20cm deep. Keep damp. In two weeks turn over
and inspect for worms.

Old 25-03-2013, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:

My composters were inundated with sea water in Sandy. Will earthworms
survive and recover, or do I need to re-seed the bins with earthworms?

did you take a look?

it's been long enough since Sandy to
hatch new worms.

if the bins are kept above freezing
you should see worms in there.

if not, replace the worm bedding and
get some new worms from a leaf pile.

songbird
Old 28-03-2013, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 24, 5:45*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Chris wrote:
My composters were inundated with sea water in Sandy. Will earthworms
survive and recover, or do I need to re-seed the bins with earthworms?

Chris

Make a pile on top with compost (not composting material) or soil with a
high organic content at least 20cm deep. *Keep damp. *In two weeks turn over
and inspect for worms.

It seems I am still in shock, and not thinking straight. I had to go
to a website that suggested, as far as my lawn, I take a sample inside
and try to grow it under optimal conditions. DUH. OK, time to get it
together.

Thanks

Chris
Old 28-03-2013, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 25, 12:05*am, songbird wrote:
Chris wrote:
My composters were inundated with sea water in Sandy. Will earthworms
survive and recover, or do I need to re-seed the bins with earthworms?

* did you take a look?

I have not really wanted to go out there recently. We cleaned up most
of the debris but it's still pretty darned ugly. Sheesh. The only way
to get it not-ugly is to get out there and get to work.

* it's been long enough since Sandy to
hatch new worms.

* if the bins are kept above freezing
you should see worms in there.

Gonna go check.

* if not, replace the worm bedding and
get some new worms from a leaf pile.

* songbird

Thanks!

Chris

Old 29-03-2013, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
Thanks!

you're welcome.

songbird

[IMG] code is On

Pond in Sandy soil nagtegaal Permaculture 2 28-06-2003 06:32 PM
crassula ovata (was sandy potting mix ?) Gyve Turquoise United Kingdom 2 23-04-2003 01:08 AM
sandy potting mix ? Tara United Kingdom 4 21-04-2003 02:35 PM
sandy soil Willow Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
stablize pond sides in sandy soil John Bachman Ponds 6 02-04-2003 01:56 AM