Old 09-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Registered User

Location: Hertfordshire
Default Shrubs for heavy clay

Hi all. I've joined this forum to see if anyone has any good ideas for my current garden problem! We've recently had a 5 bar sliding gate fitted which slides behind a 5 bar wooden fence. I had originally intended to plant some small shrubs in front of the fence such as maybe a berberis, hebe or similar. Trouble is, the soil is actually extrmemely poor and is very heavy orange clay. Is it worth me spending a while trying to dig away some of the clay and replacing with topsoil to plant something or will nothing ever grow? I didn't really want hawthorn as we have this around the rest of the boundary and I was hoping for something a little different.
Does anyone have any suggestions for some evergreen and/or colourful, shallow rooted shrubs about knee height that will tolerate this kind of soil?
Many thanks!

[IMG] code is On

Plant for heavy clay soil Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] United Kingdom 1 08-05-2016 10:50 AM
Rotavator for heavy clay? Steve Jones United Kingdom 6 23-03-2007 10:04 AM
heavy clay soil aj United Kingdom 3 26-05-2003 09:44 PM
Clay Clay and More Clay BTInternet News United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 09:32 PM
Recs for shrubs? shaded, clay soil... Jaffacake United Kingdom 2 28-11-2002 12:21 AM