Old 30-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Registered User

Default Growing Phormium

Hi all
I live in northern France and am presently growing some Phormium Tenax. They are about 2ft long now. Presently they are covered, but I would like to know at what stage they can handle our climate to be planted out. They were grown from seed last spring.
Cheers. John
Old 30-05-2013, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
vomog

http://www.french-gardens.com/plants/phormiumtenax.php
Old 30-05-2013, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 30/05/2013 11:16, vomog wrote:

Hi all
I live in northern France and am presently growing some Phormium Tenax.
They are about 2ft long now. Presently they are covered, but I would
like to know at what stage they can handle our climate to be planted
out. They were grown from seed last spring.
Cheers. John

What colour is the foliage? In general, the purple-leaved ones are
somewhat less hardy than the green or variegated forms. FWIW, the
non-purple ones seem to be hardy in the south of England, so I see no
reason why they shouldn't behave similarly in northern France.

If green, yours should be safe to plant out now. Be aware that they
grow to a pretty large size; in the right climate they'll be 6x6 foot in
less than 10 years.

--

Jeff
Old 31-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
[...]

Thanks for that. Will try them out in large pots.