Old 14-07-2013, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Roses - Does Anyone Know What This Is?

I'm not sure if this is bugs leaving/infecting, bug's laying eggs or just diese... however it's not treating my roses nice. Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it? 3 pics below, far, close and closer....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps9f52cc73.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps03a76ff4.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps75ae38c8.jpg

Old 15-07-2013, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I'm not sure if this is bugs leaving/infecting, bug's laying eggs or
just diese... however it's not treating my roses nice. Does anyone
know what this is and how to treat it? 3 pics below, far, close and
closer....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps9f52cc73.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps03a76ff4.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps75ae38c8.jpg

This looks very much like a chewer has been at work. Have you searched
*very* carefully the leaves (underneath too) and stems for a grub or
grasshopper, there are some whose camo is very good and they are hard to
spot even if you are looking at them. Pic #3 would give the best
information as it is closer but sadly it is out of focus which makes things
harder. There is a rose sawfly larvae that does damage a bit like you seem
to have so find some internet images of them and their damage pattern for
comparison.

Regardless of the leaf chewing they look rather spindly and under-developed,
at mid summer the leaves ought to be more lush. Several possibilities.
One, the pot is too small and it dries out too quickly and will not support
a decent sized root ball, so it will be stunted. I suggest this winter
pruning the tops down by half and potting on to a bigger tub. Two, it
doesn't get enough sun. Is it on the sunward side of the house? Three, it
is underfed. Roses are heavy feeders as they make huge amounts of new
growth every year.

Old 15-07-2013, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
writes:
I'm not sure if this is bugs leaving/infecting, bug's laying eggs or just diese... however it's not treating my roses nice.
Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it? 3 pics below, far, close and closer....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps9f52cc73.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps03a76ff4.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps75ae38c8.jpg

The pale trails are the work of leaf miners, which are larva living
inside the leaves. The holes could be just about anything. You
need to look for the actual bugs.

There isn't much that can be done for leaf miners that are actually
in the leaves. Your defence there is to prevent the adults from
laying eggs.

Leaf miners also come from many species, so the treatment will
depend on which one you have and then your preferences.

--
Drew Lawson

". . . And I never give a reason"
-- God, as channeled by Seven Nations