Old 13-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Saltash
Unhappy Runner Beans

This year we are having trouble with loads of sparrows pecking off the flowers of our beans we have never had this problem before.Any suggestions as to what we can do please we would be so grateful Thanks
Old 13-08-2013, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Runner Beans

On 8/13/2013 5:09 AM, Honey Rose wrote:
This year we are having trouble with loads of sparrows pecking off the
flowers of our beans we have never had this problem before.Any
suggestions as to what we can do please we would be so grateful Thanks

You could consider trying is something that would scare the birds off.
Some people use old CDs or DVDs since they're cheap, shiny, and large
enough to spook birds by reflecting light. Hang them on strings and
suspend them from stakes. Some people scare off birds with plastic
owls or snakes placed in the garden.

Another option is to purchase bird netting and tent it over the rows.
Stretch in place just far enough away from the plants that the birds'
bills can't get through the mesh at the blossoms.

Old 13-08-2013, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Honey Rose wrote:

This year we are having trouble with loads of sparrows pecking off the
flowers of our beans we have never had this problem before.

Some years the weather decimates the birds natural food source

Any suggestions as to what we can do please we would be so grateful

Easiest/surest method is to lure the birds to feed elsewhere... place
a bird feeder some distance from your beans... add a birdbath too,
sometimes when natural water sources dry up critters will get water by
eating the juiciest most tender parts of vegetation... in early
morning dewy blossoms are a natural water source and legume blossoms
are a favorite. Probably sparrows are not the only birds eating your
bean blossoms.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Moe DeLoughan wrote:

On 8/13/2013 5:09 AM, Honey Rose wrote:
This year we are having trouble with loads of sparrows pecking off the
flowers of our beans we have never had this problem before.Any
suggestions as to what we can do please we would be so grateful Thanks

You could consider trying is something that would scare the birds off.
Some people use old CDs or DVDs since they're cheap, shiny, and large
enough to spook birds by reflecting light. Hang them on strings and
suspend them from stakes. Some people scare off birds with plastic
owls or snakes placed in the garden.

This may work for up to 2 weeks before the birds get wise.

--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

[IMG] code is On

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM