Old 15-10-2013, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default shallots from seed?

Hi All,

Do you grow shallots from seeds? Or do
you plant bulbs/cloves?

When do you plant?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 15-10-2013, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/14/2013 9:14 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Do you grow shallots from seeds? Or do
you plant bulbs/cloves?

When do you plant?

Many thanks,
-T

I grew them from shallot bulbs I bought at the grocery store. However,
I found that the white part of a green onion (scallion) serves as an
excellent substitute in cooking; so I no longer grow them.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 15-10-2013, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, October 14, 2013 10:41:30 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 10/14/2013 9:14 PM, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Do you grow shallots from seeds? Or do

you plant bulbs/cloves?

When do you plant?

Many thanks,

-T

I grew them from shallot bulbs I bought at the grocery store. However,

I found that the white part of a green onion (scallion) serves as an

excellent substitute in cooking; so I no longer grow them.

But David, aren't green onions much "sharper" than shallots? Has it made any difference in your cooking/salads?

HB
Old 15-10-2013, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/15/2013 8:49 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Monday, October 14, 2013 10:41:30 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 10/14/2013 9:14 PM, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Do you grow shallots from seeds? Or do

you plant bulbs/cloves?

When do you plant?

Many thanks,

-T

I grew them from shallot bulbs I bought at the grocery store. However,

I found that the white part of a green onion (scallion) serves as an

excellent substitute in cooking; so I no longer grow them.

But David, aren't green onions much "sharper" than shallots? Has it
made any difference in your cooking/salads?

HB

Green onions might be more sharp than shallots. However, my wife and I
prefer highly seasoned foods. For example, where a recipe might call
for 2 cloves of garlic we use 3-4.

Old 16-10-2013, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:16:00 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

I bet you're the life of the party VBG

HB

Old 18-10-2013, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Many years ago in Houston, Texas, we grew something called "multiplying
onions" for salad use. Pull up a small bunch of them for a meal, break
one off and stick it back in the hole. They never went dormant, never
bloomed, never really bulbed, just kept dividing. And they *really*
liked the gumbo clay soil where my grandparents lived, but they also
grew okay in the acid sandy soil at my parents house in the pines.

They had a little different (richer) taste than green onions, and I now
recognize it as shallots. I've been looking for them for years; even
drove by the house where my grandparents lived 40 years ago to see if
there were still some there. I'm pretty sure now they were a shallot
variety "Louisiana Evergreen", which is a sterile triploid or something.

No idea if "Louisiana Evergreen" shallots are still available, or if
they will grow up here in the frozen north.

To answer the original question, I grew some shallots from seeds this
year, but I planted them too late and the weeds overtook them. I will
dig them up this weekend and see what I got. Next year I will plant
shallot bulbs from the Oriental market (they are cheap there)

Bob
Old 19-10-2013, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
On 10/18/2013 08:44 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

Hi Bob,

Thank you!

Can I use bulbs from the grocery store?

Since you live in the frozen north, when do
you plant yours?

-T

This is the first time I've grown them, and I planted the seeds in the
spring. I think you plant bulbs in the fall after the first frost --
although it would probably also work the buy bulbs in late winter,
refrigerate them for a month or so, and plant as soon as the ground thaws.

Bob