Old 06-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Jennynj1975

Default Picture of Cactus...Identify???

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jbhnj1975...h&.done=http%3
a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/jbhnj1975/lst%3f%26.dir=/Cactus%26.src=ph%26.view=t
&.view=t

Can someone look at this Cactus and provide me with any insight?

Thank you,
Jennifer

Old 06-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Iris Cohen

It is not a cactus at all. It is a Euphorbia, possibly Euphorbia horrida. Do a
search on Euphorbia & you will undoubtedly find it. Take a close look. The
thorns are growing directly out of the stem, not from an areole. That is how
you tell it is not a cactus. Also, I don't know of any cactus with such a
square stem. There are several Euphorbias that do that.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 06-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Cereoid-UR12

Monvillea spegazzinii, Weberocereus tunilla and Pterocereus foetidus, among
others, have square stems and they are genuine cactus. There are many
Cactaceae with square (quadrangular) stems.

Euphorbia horrida does not have a square stem.

Many Euphorbias have spines on specialized spine shields not arising
directly from the stem.

All Cactaceae have areoles (axillary buds filled with hairs not scales) but
so do Didiereaceae and Portulaca!

Please provide link to picture again.

..

Old 06-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Charles

On Tue, 06 May 2003 16:07:28 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12"
wrote:

Monvillea spegazzinii, Weberocereus tunilla and Pterocereus foetidus, among
others, have square stems and they are genuine cactus. There are many
Cactaceae with square (quadrangular) stems.

Euphorbia horrida does not have a square stem.

Many Euphorbias have spines on specialized spine shields not arising
directly from the stem.

All Cactaceae have areoles (axillary buds filled with hairs not scales) but
so do Didiereaceae and Portulaca!

Please provide link to picture again.

.

http://tinyurl.com/b436

I shortened the URL.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 06-05-2003, 06:56 PM
mcameron, bill

not a cactus

looks more like a euphorbia ingens

bill

Old 06-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Bill Spohn

not a cactus

looks more like a euphorbia ingens

I have the same plant in a pot in my office - it ain't a Euphorbia, and it is a
cactus, but I'm not sure which one.

Old 06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Bill Spohn

How about a link to a picture of the damn thing?

Digital camera is at home - I'll see if I can remember to take it to work.

Ain't ain't a word!

It aren't?