Old 07-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Registered User

Default Shallow Soil

Hi - I am quite an inexperienced gardener and wondered if anyone could help me. i have a small front garden but the house is very old and the soil is very shallow with hardcore underneath. i would like to improve the depth but not sure what to buy - the garden isn't big enough to have topsoil delivered - can anyone advise me what to buy from the garden centre to improve the depth - or should I just buy a small amount of topsoil (couple of tonnes) and bite the bullet on the delivery charges. Thanks for your help
Old 08-02-2014, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

DianneB wrote:

Hi - I am quite an inexperienced gardener and wondered if anyone could
help me. i have a small front garden but the house is very old and the
soil is very shallow with hardcore underneath. i would like to improve
the depth but not sure what to buy - the garden isn't big enough to have
topsoil delivered - can anyone advise me what to buy from the garden
centre to improve the depth - or should I just buy a small amount of
topsoil (couple of tonnes) and bite the bullet on the delivery charges.
Thanks for your help

aside from David's remarks, i also ask about how the
area is contained/edged. if you bring in extra materials
will it stay in place during a heavy rain or are there
drainage issues involved?

most soils can be improved in place by adding a top
layer of organic material to let the worms incorporate
into the soil. it works through time, so if you want
something quicker then yes, you'll have to bring it in
and incorporate it.

also, you mention it is a front garden and that to me
means facing the street and potentially an issue of
left a bit wilder than a back garden. so some methods
of soil restoration i would encourage would be different
depending upon what type of neighborhood you have, if
you are in an association (condos, or some other neighbor-
hood thingy).

songbird
Old 08-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Registered User

[quote='songbird[_2_];998361']DianneB wrote:

Hi - I am quite an inexperienced gardener and wondered if anyone could
help me. i have a small front garden but the house is very old and the
soil is very shallow with hardcore underneath. i would like to improve
the depth but not sure what to buy - the garden isn't big enough to have
topsoil delivered - can anyone advise me what to buy from the garden
centre to improve the depth - or should I just buy a small amount of
topsoil (couple of tonnes) and bite the bullet on the delivery charges.
Thanks for your help

Quote:
aside from David's remarks, i also ask about how the
area is contained/edged. if you bring in extra materials
will it stay in place during a heavy rain or are there
drainage issues involved?

most soils can be improved in place by adding a top
layer of organic material to let the worms incorporate
into the soil. it works through time, so if you want
something quicker then yes, you'll have to bring it in
and incorporate it.

also, you mention it is a front garden and that to me
means facing the street and potentially an issue of
left a bit wilder than a back garden. so some methods
of soil restoration i would encourage would be different
depending upon what type of neighborhood you have, if
you are in an association (condos, or some other neighbor-
hood thingy).

songbird
Thanks Songbird

Not sure what you meant by David's remarks - I presume he removed them. We are in an old farm cottage so the front garden is enclosed by hedges - and there is only one neighbour - drainage may be an issue - we had 4 inches of water on the garden last week. the previous owners edge the drive so the garden is edged with raised edging. I think I might have to resort to pots.