Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ideas for our garden

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 19:07:12 +0200, Kai_63
wrote:

Brooklyn1;1008309 Wrote:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:59:05 +0200, Kai_63
wrote:
-

Brooklyn1;1008098 Wrote: -
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:-
Brooklyn1 wrote:-
Jeff Layman wrote:-
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:-
-
-
-
I was also going to suggest a vine for the brick wall. A brick wall-
-
is a valuable thing! Depending on your climate, even just plain ivy-
-
would do well, if not too much sun exposure. But if you'd like a-
-
flowering vine --that might grow quickly -- your local nursery is
the-
-
best place to ask. Having viewed your brick wall in pic, I'd-
-
strongly endorse the vine option.-
-
-
-
I assume the OP is in the UK. That brick wall is not his property,
and, -
-
without the permission of the owner, he cannot do anything to it
without -
-
risking legal action. He might get away with planting ivy or, another
-
-
self-clinging plant at the base of the wall, and hope they grow up it,
-
-
but that's all. No hooks, wire, trellis, or even paint. In any case,
-
-
it would take years for any self-clinging climbing plant to cover a
wall -
-
of that size.-

If not the poster's wall I'd suggest doing nothing to it... attach

nothing without permission, not even a vine... find out if the

property line allows enough land to grow a hedge or a row of some sort

of conifers that would hide the wall... but I don't think a brick wall

is so visually offensive... besides it was probably there all along so

it it offends the poster he shouldn't have moved there. I would

simply accept it until such time as one can move elsewhere, the wall

ain't going anywhere anytime soon.-

This whole megillah about UK wall/property/access is hardly
comprehensible to this Yank.

The only other contribution I could make to a situation which I cannot
even begin to visualize has to do with the aesthetics of the brick
wall.
If, as some here aver, you cannot make any changes to it, e.g. even
attach a vine, you could still consider the following:

Construct or acquire a large redwood structure -- trellis-type thingie
-- to harmonize with the wood fence (is fence redwood?), and place it
so
as to mask the brick wall (which is not particularly attractive).

If you then construct a platform for your outdoor dining area out of
the
same material, you could end up with a harmonious whole.

Good luck!

HB-

To plant anything to hide that wall we'd need to know what direction
it faces, if north facing no sun would strike that wall making choices
very limited... if south facing receiving direct sun will heat those
bricks to temperatures that no plants nearby can survive. Without
photos of the back yard showing all the pertinent features it's not
possible to offer advice other than wild speculation... for all we
know that brick wall is a six foot tall structure as a fence between
properties or the wall of a four story apartment building.-

Thanks for all the replies. There's some very nice ideas - hadn't
considered breaking up the concrete and planting in the cracks, not
sure
I've even seen that before so will look it up and investigate.

The posters above who confirmed that the wall isn't ours are right. For
the record, I didn't have a choice about it when I moved here, it is my
husband's property, he chose it before I married him! I'm not so keen
on
it unfortunately. We are considering asking the homeowner's permission
to add a trellis, but perhaps if we can't do that, we are better off
putting in railway sleepers and planting high plants in them as they
shouldn't require building against the wall as such.

It's a northeast facing garden so there is some sun in the morning but
not in the afternoon. I am quite happy to investigate plants that we
can
plant there (the plants in the borders were all planted by me, based on
the environment, soil etc). I'm no expert but they are still living
after two years!

It's the hard landscaping bits that I'm struggling with (sorry to the
poster who feels that this isn't gardening, but surely you need the
right structures in place such as trellises etc in order for the
plants
you choose to thrive in your particular garden)? It's still part and
parcel of gardening in my opinion.

The poster who mentioned the side access is right, unfortunately we
live
in a Victorian terrace house (or rather, fortunately, because it's a
lovely building, but unfortunately because it means all access to the
garden is via the house). I'm reluctant to do anything too messy but I
may just have to bite the bullet on that front I think.

Thanks again for all the great ideas.-

Still no picture or at least a description of that wall; height?,
is it a building wall?

It's the side of a two storey house, all red brick and at least 7 metres
high. The wall is visible on my pinterest link on my original post.
Thanks.

A brick wall some 22 feet high is not anything one can cover up with
plantings in less than some 22 years... and never any gaurantees no
matter what you plant for it may die long before growing very high...
were it me that wall bothered I'd seriously consider moving elsewhere.
The wall was there when you decided to live there. Move somewhere
rural.