Old 07-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Alex Ng

Default Clematis - Cross Pollen

Hi,

There is a rumour, but I'm not sure whether it is true, if I have 2 clematis
plants, one red and one purple, and if they get cross pollenated, next year
my clematis plant will be a different colour. Is this true?

Alex

Old 07-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Sunflower

"Alex Ng" wrote in message
Hi,

There is a rumour, but I'm not sure whether it is true, if I have 2

clematis
plants, one red and one purple, and if they get cross pollenated, next

year
my clematis plant will be a different colour. Is this true?

Alex

If your Chihuahua has sex with a St. Bernard, does that mean that the St.
Bernard will grow those goofy little stand up ears and the Chihuahua will
start needing a towel to wipe the massive amounts of drool it produces? No,
it only means that the progeny from such a union will share blended traits
from that union. (A 20 lb practically hairless dog with enormous feet and
sagging eyes?) The two individuals will retain the same genetic structure
and same distinct appearance. So, your plants will retain their
individuality, but if you plant any of the *seeds* from the two plants, the
seeds are likely to be the result of the mixing of the two genes and a new
hybrid is the result. Unless you conrol the pollination yourself by hand,
you really don't know if the seeds are the result of a self cross, or from a
cross between the two, or from a cross between one and a neighbors. Even a
self cross will not have the same genetic blueprint as the original plant,
and you get subtle variations in "open pollinated" vegetables for instance.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 07-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Philip Edward Lewis

"Sunflower" writes:
If your Chihuahua has sex with a St. Bernard, does that mean that the St.

I sure hope that this hypothetical chihuahua was male.....

--
be safe.
flip

Old 07-05-2003, 10:20 PM
paghat

In article , Philip
Edward Lewis wrote:

"Sunflower" writes:
If your Chihuahua has sex with a St. Bernard, does that mean that the St.

I sure hope that this hypothetical chihuahua was male.....

You're so smart! Not that many people know Saint Bernard of Clairvaux was
a faggot. He writes bitter diatribes against beautiful youth in the
monasteries & the ease of acquiring homosexual partners in his ranting &
raving "De contemptu mundi," really quite obsessed about it, with a
clearly conflicted personal horror. He believes sodomy is an enormous
temptation to monastics, to which vast numbers fall pray. He could
certainly speak for himself!. The only creatures he seems to hate more
than his fellow faggots are -- women -- he suggests in "De octo vitiis"
that the very laughter of women fills him with disgust, & elsewhere
insisted that when any woman is speaking -- ANY woman -- vipers' poison is
sprewing. And all women in his view being inherent sluts.

So maybe he wasn't so much struggling against his innate homoexuality as
against his rutting nature that would do ANYthing, male, female, or even a
chihuahua. Though one analysis of his misogyny, & his fixation on monastic
faggotry, would look closest at his idea that monks who are homosexuals
are like women and for THAT reason horrid. Bernard might have been more
accepting of others' or his own lust for his fellow monks if he didn't
hate women & consider queer desire to be womanish. He states categorically
that the only way for a monk to not act upon inevitable desires is to whip
himself with whips & chain himself in chains. Well, maybe Bernard should
patron saint of self-flagelating B&D masochists while he's at it!

Gay catholics are trying to get the patron saint of homosexuals, Saint
Sebastian, officially so-designated. But they should also be trying to get
St Bernard of Clairvaux officially recognized as the patron saint of
hopelessly self-hating closet cases.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 08-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Cereoid-UR12

Its not a rumor, its called genetics.

Hybridizing garden plants has a long history that goes way before gardeners
understood the mechanism behind it.

If your two Clematis are hybrids and crossing them produces fertile seed,
you might get new plants grown from the seed with a range of floral colors.
The only way to find out is to try it and see what you get.

However, the flower color of the original parent plants will not change.

Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Cereoid-UR12

I bet Gregor Mendel could have kicked his butt!!!!

paghat wrote in message
news

Old 08-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Natty_Dread

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , Philip
Edward Lewis wrote:

"Sunflower" writes:
[...]

ROFL! And here I was, assuming Philip was referring simply to the size
difference between Chihuahuas and St. Bernards... ;-)

Old 10-05-2003, 04:08 AM

Wow. Imagine, St. Bernard, patron saint of homophobes, having sex with
a chihuahua. Beats altar boys, I suppose (or did he?).