Old 12-05-2003, 09:32 PM
paghat

Default I'm addicted to viburniums :)

In article , Pam wrote:

flicker wrote:

From: Pam

Join the club! Viburnums are wonderful, varied and versatile plants and
there should be at least one in every garden! I have a bunch myself -

Pam- - - I have a 'Mariesii' that is doing very well foliage-wise,

about 3 1/2
- 4 feet tall. This is its second spring in the ground, and no flower buds.
Does that sound typical? I expected at least a bud or two, like my other
viburnums had done.

Also, my arrowwood and highbush viburnums flower prolifically, but the fruit
production is nowhere near those photos we see of big bunches of

fruit. I can
count the berries on one hand usually. Last spring the highbush clearly had
lots of pollinators visiting it, so what gives?

IME, all shrubs need a couple of years to establish (more if very young

starts)
before they start performing the same as well-established plants. I usually
suggest to clients that they don't expect too much before the third year

in the
ground. As I recall, mine took about three years before significant flower
production, but it was pretty small when planted.

My trilobum has never produced copious fruits either, but then it is in

the back
of my garden and no doubt the birds see the fruit and devour it long

before I do
:-) Fruit development depends on a lot of factors, not the least of

which is the
amount of sunlight the plant receives. Soil conditions and water will

also have
some bearing as well as the provenance of the plant - some clones will

not be as
prolific a fruiter as others. Too many factors to say for sure, but

personally,
with or without fruit, I think viburnums still have much to offer the

landscape.

pam - gardengal

The shrub that for me did not produce fruit for two years running was the
White Icicle currant -- gorgeous flowers, no berries, I was beginning to
think it didn't get any fruit. But this year it has just a FEW fruits
developing at the end of the spent flowers; maybe in years to come it'll
fruit more & more now that its so well rooted & established. The only
recently added King Edward III currant (uhm, am I remembering the right
king just now???) is by comparison just LOADED with berries (presently, in
May, green with red tips, very very pretty); I hope the shock of
transplanting it into our yard doesn't stop it from producing as much
fruit next year (as it was pot-grown I don't think it could've been much
shocked).

My V. trilobum produces lots of fruit. Because it is right beside the door
& our comings & goings tend to scare off the birds from the doorway, the
fruits last all winter & even into spring. This bush gives me palpitations
of joy in every season.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: