Old 08-05-2003, 02:44 AM
John S. DeBoo

Default ground cover suggestions

I'm soiliciting (pun intended) opinions from the experts here on
experiences with ground cover. Here's the scenario. I've installed
a small (125gal) plastic molded pond in-ground which has a 4' long
waterfall thats of course above ground. Each side of the waterfall
has about 3 sq ft of dirt area (1' wide x 3' long) that angles up to
45º on each side - 6sqft total area to plant. I'm looking for some
nice plants (preferably evergreens) probably from seed that I can
put here and they'll grow keeping the dirt from falling down this
45º 1' wide slope. It is seperated from the level ground by hump
backed bricks. The sides of the waterfall are very irregular so
larger stones are not an option.
- prefer evergreens
- prefer flowering ones if possible
- zone is 7 - Albuquerque, NM
- fairly sheltered from winds by a 6' tall fence around the entire
backyard (used to be an 18'x36' pool, now a huge garden with statue,
roses and other goodies
- no more than 12" tall if possible
- easily grown
- ground is sandy with clay but can easily be supplemented with
other stuff since its so small an area.
- it'll get watered when the rest of the garden gets water

I've done a lot of reading so far (much to do yet) and it appears
the following would do well but I'm interested in others experiences
with these plants (as well as any other suggestions):

- Dianthus gratianopolitanus (Tiny Rubies)
- Iberis sempervirens (Candytuft)
- Sedem spurium (Dragon's Blood Stonecrop)
- Thymus pseudolanuginosus (Woolly Thyme)
- Veronica peduncularis (Georgia Blue)
- Veronica (Waterperry Blue)
- Vinca minor (Graveyard Grass)
- Alyssum, sweet

I was told Portulaca's were good and we tried then in a pot but have
not had good luck so far. Since its on a slope the area should
drain easily but won't get water from the waterfall. It'll be in
full sun daily.

Again, I'm interested in experiences with the above plants and am
open to any other suggestion you may have for something I can grow
in this tiny area, preferably from seed because they are so much
cheaper but not an absolute. The flat area below the waterfall and
around the pond will be a few plants but mostly colored lava rock,
then spreading out into many more plants & flowers. If all else
fails I'll plant mint there, which seems to like our climate here,
as does Parsley. Mint may be invasive but I think its easily
controlled by the surrounding brickwork etc so I don't expect a
problem with invasive plants. I know much of this depends upon what
else is/will be in the garden but I just don't know yet, its a work
of art(???) in progress and as I see something that strikes my
fancy, I'll plant it and see what happens. We've roses, nasturtiums,
tiny dahlias(?), parsley, asters, cosmos, zinnias, marigolds,
corriander, gladiolas, sunflowers, bachelor buttons, chives, sweet
basil, tomatos, radishes, zuccini squash, chamomile & green beans in
various areas within and outside the old pool area.

Opinions?????????????

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 08-05-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

Take a look he

http://npsnm.unm.edu/

Old 11-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Frogleg

wrote:

I'm soiliciting (pun intended) opinions from the experts here on
experiences with ground cover. Here's the scenario. I've installed
a small (125gal) plastic molded pond in-ground which has a 4' long
waterfall thats of course above ground.

You might ask in rec.ponds