Old 08-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Betsy

Default Where's my asparagus?

I bought a bundle of roots from Southern States & planted them several weeks
ago. I haven't seen a single spear, stalk, fern, whatever in all this time.
How long does it take? Should I dig up that bed & replant?

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:56 AM
SugarChile

As long as the roots looked healthy when you planted them, I wouldn't worry
just yet. They take a little while to settle in and start growing. Keep
the bed watered if it doesn't rain, and you should start to see some spears
within another few weeks. Mulch it well once it's up and growing to keep
the weeds down.

You do know you can't harvest any this year, right? And only harvest
lightly next year. But I'm here to tell you, it's worth the wait. This is
my fourth year for my bed, and I'm getting a bonanza of asparagus. Picked
and steamed almost immediately, it's like a completely different vegetable
than store bought--there are layers of flavor there that are absolutely
wonderful.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 08-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"Betsy" -0 wrote:

I bought a bundle of roots from Southern States & planted them several weeks
ago.

How did you plant them? I remember deep tranches and lots of
well-aged manure being placed in the trenches, and the roots
being covered with a bit of soil. Then you slowly filled the
trench as the young plants grow.

I haven't seen a single spear, stalk, fern, whatever in all this time.
How long does it take?

Should I dig up that bed & replant?

Dig up ONE and see what is going on. They might have been slow
to start, excessive watering might have rotted them, or maybe the
roots were dead when you got them.

If you filled the trench before they sprouted, they might have
died trying to reach the surface.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 08-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Beecrofter

"Betsy" -0 wrote in message ...
I bought a bundle of roots from Southern States & planted them several weeks
ago. I haven't seen a single spear, stalk, fern, whatever in all this time.
How long does it take? Should I dig up that bed & replant?

Thanks.

The soil is cold yet and it takes a little time for the asparagus to
get started.
You could always add another row. When it comes up you will see tiny
spears. As the season progresses it will benefit greatly from a mulch
of grass clippings during the summer and woodchips for winter. Watch
out for asparagus beetles. The eggs are little black dots on the sides
of the plant stems. Rub them off with your thumb. The same goes for
their larvae which look a little like grey greasy maggots, a pinch
will do them in.
No harvest for you this year. Steal a couple spears next year and eat
them in the garden.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:56 AM
GIJane

Asparagus is a very long term vegie. Three years before harvest. They live
20 years or more. I suggest you learn more about how to keep now and then
decide whether the planting area you have is proper or if they should be
moved.

Try: http://gaga.essortment.com/asparagusgrowin_rumy.htm