Old 01-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Charles

Default Cereoid - More Questions

Escobaria

I was able to locate the references you gave me. The British C a S J
was especially good, too bad the library didn't have a color copier.

Now I have to set down with a glass of beer and a dictionary to find
out what they are saying.

A question, in the descriptions of the various species I find the
growing altitude listed. E. alversoni is the only one listed with an
elevation range where I found my plants. Is this important? I
thought any temperature question would be covered by the list of other
plants I included.

It would appear I am due for some desert trips this spring to get more
information about these plants. Then the challenge will be to find
someone else who cares.

In my web digging I ran across an abbreviation " nov. comb.ined."
What does the "ined" part mean, I couldn't find a definition for that
part.

I hope I don't need to get an SEM to examine the seeds. Light
photography is so limited.

Thanks for any assistance.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 01-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Cereoid+10+

ined. is an abbreviation of the Latin "ineditus" meaning unpublished.

Of course, nov. comb. is an abbreviation of the Latin "nova combinatio"
meaning new combination of name and epithet.