Old 03-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Charles

Default Cereoid, my cactus

I posted some pictures in a.p.b.gardens, off topic, but who cares.

I found copies of the references you gave me before, and put them
somewhere, I can't remember where. I was able to find the plants that
I had found 20 years ago.

I think this is called old timers disease or something like that.

anyway, I had to go back to Benson, and I don't like any description
for these plants. No fruit pictures, I'll check back in a month or
so.

What else should I look for?

higher resolution pictures are available, of course.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 04-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Cereoid-XXXXX

I would still say it is Coryphantha (Escobaria) orcuttii even though it is
far west of the typical distribution of that species. Fruit and seed would
be most helpful. Nigel Taylor's review of Escobaria is far more useful than
Benson's treatment of Coryphantha. The species is definitely not a variety
of Coryphantha strobiliformis. The flowers, fruit and seeds are different as
well as is the growth form and spination.

You should make the gang at Cacti_etc aware of your pictures and also see
what Nigel Taylor and Dave Ferguson have to say about the plants.

Old 04-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Charles

On Sun, 04 May 2003 14:48:31 GMT, "Cereoid-XXXXX"
wrote:

I would still say it is Coryphantha (Escobaria) orcuttii even though it is
far west of the typical distribution of that species. Fruit and seed would
be most helpful. Nigel Taylor's review of Escobaria is far more useful than
Benson's treatment of Coryphantha. The species is definitely not a variety
of Coryphantha strobiliformis. The flowers, fruit and seeds are different as
well as is the growth form and spination.

You should make the gang at Cacti_etc aware of your pictures and also see
what Nigel Taylor and Dave Ferguson have to say about the plants.

I intend to do that when I get some fruit and seed pictures. Should
be in June.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 04-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Charles

wrote:

I would still say it is Coryphantha (Escobaria) orcuttii even though it is
far west of the typical distribution of that species. Fruit and seed would
be most helpful. Nigel Taylor's review of Escobaria is far more useful than
Benson's treatment of Coryphantha. The species is definitely not a variety
of Coryphantha strobiliformis. The flowers, fruit and seeds are different as
well as is the growth form and spination.

You should make the gang at Cacti_etc aware of your pictures and also see
what Nigel Taylor and Dave Ferguson have to say about the plants.

I found my copies of the references you gave, I agree it is most like
the orcuttii. In reading Zimmerman's description, it seems that these
are different in the flower, I wouldn't call them pale pink, but I'm
not too good with naming colors. I don't see any green on the outer
perianth parts (cheating here, I didn't post that picture)

They also are growing at about 1000 ft elevation, for once the GPS was
about right.

_

- Charles
-