Old 11-05-2003, 03:44 AM
klein Hansen

Default REQ info on mossy, shaded lawn

I live in CT near a forest. The yard is very shady and has an
abundance of moss. Are there any suggestions on how to rid my lawn of
the moss and what type of grass seed is recommended for shady areas?

Thank you,
Klein
Old 11-05-2003, 06:56 AM
JNJ

I live in CT near a forest. The yard is very shady and has an
abundance of moss. Are there any suggestions on how to rid my lawn of
the moss and what type of grass seed is recommended for shady areas?

First and foremost -- have the soil's pH tested (or test it yourself if you
feel comfortable doing so). Although not TOO picky, grass typically prefers
a fairly neutral pH.

Next, a question: Just how shaded an area is your yard? What kinds of trees
are shading it?

As for grass seed, I'm finding myself VERY partial to Scots these days --
their seed did one heck of a job on my front yard and I'm super impressed
with the quality.

FWIW, you might want to consider keeping the moss and turning it into a moss
garden -- there are some really neat moss gardens out there with stones,
tree trunks, and so forth. Makes for a kinda cool and unique spot.

James

[IMG] code is On

Clearing a mossy drive Ermin Trude United Kingdom 7 28-02-2015 03:44 PM
Mossy, uneven patchy lawn on (very) sandy soil PEHowland Lawns 3 04-03-2008 05:06 PM
weedy mossy invaders JWH Bonsai 0 28-06-2006 10:50 PM
Req info: Harvesting chive seeds tom hooper Edible Gardening 2 06-10-2004 04:52 PM
REQ Container Tomato Info for 2005 Granny Smith Edible Gardening 3 28-08-2004 08:13 PM