Old 11-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Lil

Default fruits on ornamental cherry trees?

Hi!

Are there cherry trees (either ornamental or edible variety) that have
red leaves and bear fruits that are edible? Thanks in advance.

Lil
Old 11-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Dwayne

Choke cherries have leaves that start out green and turn to dark red. The
small berries are not sweet, but they make one of the best jellies or jams I
have ever tasted.

Dwayne

om...

Old 11-05-2003, 01:44 PM
GrampysGurl

Choke cherries have leaves that start out green and turn to dark red. The
small berries are not sweet, but they make one of the best jellies or jams I
have ever tasted.

Dwayne

"Lil" wrote in message
. com...
Hi!

Are there cherry trees (either ornamental or edible variety) that have
red leaves and bear fruits that are edible? Thanks in advance.

Lil

A nice bright red, birds love the fruit and you can make a jam from them but I
hear they are sour... never tried one myself. I will be adding another tree
shortly as the one I have is getting old.
Colleen
Connecticut zone 5
Old 12-05-2003, 05:56 AM
David J. Bockman

You might consider Prunus cerasifera 'Thundercloud' , aka Cherry Plum.

Dave

"Lil" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the comments. I looked up chokecherries and it doesn't
seem like it. On poking around some more, it seems like it can be one
of the Japanese flowering cherry trees, like the "Royal Burgundy"
because the leaves are dark burgundy red.

I wasn't able to find out if the "royal burgundy" bore fruit.

Lil

Old 13-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Lil

I checked it out--you might have gotten it right, especially since it
started flowering before it the leaves came out. Thanks!

Lil