Old 12-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Trader

Default White Pines In New York Need Help!

Hi,

Last December I had my landscaper plant 10, 6 ft. white pines. The pines
looked very healthy and when he was done he mulched around each plant. We
then had a lot of snow and cold temperatures that were below the norm. This
spring I noticed that the pines have lots of brown needles, on each pine,
near the bottom of each plant. I cut a section off and didn't see any
fungus or anything else growing on the needles. I also don't see any bugs
or anything else on the trunks that could be harming the pines. However, I
did recently have my yard sprayed with a kinda insecticidal soap for my
inchworms and caterpillars. Also, I planted a new lawn this spring and for
the first two weeks I was watering twice a day to keep the seed moist. Most
of the pines were getting watered too. Temps this spring have been on the
cooler side. One last thing, my landscaper didn't remove any of the burlap
from the balls when planting. I've read mixed advice - some say remove the
top of the burlap and I also read to leave it on altogether.

When you run your hand over a branch with the brown needles the needles
don't fall off. The trees look healthy except for the brown needles. I've
read that this is common in the fall with pines but this is the spring and
I'm concerned. Is there anything I can do to protect these beautiful trees
and my investment?

Thanks in advance,

Frank