Old 02-03-2003, 04:27 AM
Susan

Default pine bark mulch

I had alot of pine trees cut down recently and I had the stumps
grounded down so now I have alot of pine bark mulch/chips should I
leave this where its at or gather it up and put around new trees we
have planted?
Old 02-03-2003, 04:39 AM
_

Leave it where it is!!! It will provide protection against the dreaded
pflumeriatosis toxins because the chips contain trace amounts of tannin.
If you move the chips the tannins can drop off and be forever lost
among the native soil particles. If the tannins become bound to the
soil particles you are in a world of trouble because not even peanut
butter can help you now.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:27 PM
Dwayne

Pine trees are a good mulch, but better after you have let it compost/age
for a couple of years. When fresh cut, it will remove nitrogen from the
ground as part of the decaying process, and unless you are prepared to
replace it, that is a bad thing. It is also acidic. What ever you are
going to mulch will have to be an acid loving plant. Pine needles are an
excellent mulch for strawberries.

Good luck. Dwayne