Old 14-05-2003, 09:56 PM
sam

Default Pam - Japanese maple

hi, Pam-

i was just remembering your posting last fall or winter about an ailing
maple - i think you feared verticillium wilt. did it leaf out okay this
spring?

my j. maples are my favorite things in the garden (this week), so i like
to hear of others NOT being sick...

sam
pnw z/8
Old 15-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Pam

sam wrote:

hi, Pam-

i was just remembering your posting last fall or winter about an ailing
maple - i think you feared verticillium wilt. did it leaf out okay this
spring?

my j. maples are my favorite things in the garden (this week), so i like
to hear of others NOT being sick...

sam
pnw z/8

Unfortunately not :-(( Based on what clients have presented so far this
season, it appears that Verticillium wilt has done in a fair number of
Japanese maples in this area over the last year. The stress of a couple of
years of extended summer drought was apparently too much (not to mention my
fussing with new plantings in the root zone, of which I should have known
better). The top growth was totally dead, but when I cut it down, it started
to leaf out from the remains of the trunk (I hesitate to dig it out as there
are VW susceptible plantings in the immediate area). Who knows what kind of
deformed oddity it will turn out to be!

Not to worry, though. I have acquired several more to take its place and
these will be planted in containers :-))

pam - gardengal

Old 17-05-2003, 02:32 AM
sam

Pam wrote in message ...

Unfortunately not :-(( Based on what clients have presented so far this
season, it appears that Verticillium wilt has done in a fair number of
Japanese maples in this area over the last year. The stress of a couple of
years of extended summer drought was apparently too much (not to mention my
fussing with new plantings in the root zone, of which I should have known
better). The top growth was totally dead, but when I cut it down, it started
to leaf out from the remains of the trunk (I hesitate to dig it out as there
are VW susceptible plantings in the immediate area). Who knows what kind of
deformed oddity it will turn out to be!

Not to worry, though. I have acquired several more to take its place and
these will be planted in containers :-))

pam - gardengal

aw, i'm sorry to hear that. i hope the wilt doesn't hit my maples any
time soon. although, i have such a small garden and things just keep
growing and growing, making it smaller all the time... whenever i look
at one of the larger j. maples and wonder about losing it, it only
takes a minute to begin seeing the fantastic new space it would leave!

i've got my mind set on an acer palmatum 'Hanami nishik' now. i just
have to get out there and get rid of something this weekend.

sam
pnw/z8